New Guinea pigs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Demamma

Reaction score
At the 4-H event yesterday we were given 3 Guinea pigs. We will get the 3rd later today. The person who gave them to me said they were given to her as they needed rehomed asap. The white one is my daughter's. She named him Pinecone. He is about 2 years old.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1383233512000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1383233746000.jpg

Mine is a creamy color. I named him dulce deleche after my favorite shake. He is 4 years old.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1383233518000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1383233696000.jpg both have metal tags in their ears. I never owned a male Guinea pig before. I noticed on Dulce that he has a funny nail growing out of the middle of his front feet. Both pigs nails were overgrown so I trimmed them up. The nail in the middle of his front feet on the bottom I did not know how short to trim them. Both have real dry skin. Mine has a breathing problem reminds me of asthma. I was told he always breathed funny. Any ideas and advice will be appreciated. They are living in the house. Our 3 girl pigs live outside in a pen.

I would love to see the ear tags, never heard of that before.

Can you get a photo of the feet area?

I LOVE my piggies, they escape on a regular basis but here in Hawaii that is not a big deal. They always come back around feeding time and I'm able to catch them.

Congrats on the new piggies, Demamma! They are adorable!

I haven't owned a gpig since I was in my teens, so I can't really advise you on the wheezing.

dayna":19qohrb6 said:
I would love to see the ear tags, never heard of that before.

Show pigs get ear tags just like show rabbits get tattoos. :)

These used to be someone's show cavies. The other pig was dropped off and he is big and sweet will get a picture tomorrow. Very friendly. The cage they dropped off was the size of a double rabbit carrier so I'm using it for mine since he needs to live alone. I bought a double cavity cage at a garage sell 2 days ago that has a door that opens up in the middle. My daughter's pigs are sharing it since they are used to each other. Here is a picture of the tag and growth on my pig.
KINDLE_CAMERA_1383249362000.jpg
KINDLE_CAMERA_1383249547000.jpg

Just curious, will you be keeping these as pets, show or meat?

I've never owned a pig before so can't help you there, but their very pretty :) I

I've never seen a metal tag like that. How strange, does it seem to bother them at all? Piggy ears seem so small and flappy I can't imagine putting a tag on the small ears!

We are keeping as pets. We have 3 female pigs outside in a big cage also. I would breed but don't want to be stuck with a lot of little pigs needing homes.

The tag does not seem to hurt them.

The third pig was dropped off last night. By far the sweetest. Problem is no tag. I will have to figure out how and where to get one as daughter wants to show him.

Back