New from Iowa

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RabbitRancher

Reaction score
I joined a couple weeks ago and was planning to add something here, then was distracted by life....

I bought my first rabbits back in November: a Californina buck from one guy and a California doe and NZ White doe form another guy. It was hard to find any in central Iowa at the time. My first to litters are ready for processing now. I plan to keep two more females now to expand. And maybe this summer pick up another buck.

I am enjoying this site and reading/researching. I am impressed with the good information and the people here. I am looking forward to learning and participating here.

thanks,
Steve

Thanks for the welcome. My original intent was to just do NZs. I was unable to find a NZ buck so I took the Cali. I may get a NZ buck later...if I can find one here. I actually was surprised how much I like the Calis. I like there look. all the mixed ones ended up looking like the Cali dad.
When I bought the does, the guy had an Angora buck he gave me as well. He was just going to have to process him. It was given to him by an older lady who could not take care of him anymore. Apparently she made some pretty neat stuff with his fur. So he is an indoor pet now. I wonder what an Angora NZ mix would be like :unsure:....Is that even possible? I may have to ask that question in the genetics section.

Howdy! Glad you found RT- I wish I had known of it back when I started with rabbits! Californians were the first rabbits I raised. :)

P.S I think there is a thread on here about crossing Angoras with a meat breed... oh, here it is! (Not that you shouldn't post your question, just thought you might like to read this one, too!)

https://rabbittalk.com/threads/anyone-using-angoras-for-meat.33805/#post-331045

Thanks MuddyFarms. An interesting read. Does not sound like a very beneficial endeavor based on the experience of a couple folks. I guess I just have an odd sense of humor and thought some shaggy white rabbits could be interesting...for the hide. The goal here is to get meals...not more work. :)

Thanks

Latest posts

Back