New doe but dont know what breed

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmabb

Reaction score
So I got a new black doe today and I named her Nyx. The old owner thought she could be a Rex but the coat is not like that of a Rex or even a Satin. She on the smaller size 9 months old and already has had her first liter which was lost. She cant be a NZ cause like I said she smaller and I already have 2 NZ so I know what I'm looking at but fur coat type feels like a NZ. I'll post more photos of her cause I could really use the help on figuring out what she is. And if not then I'm also fine with taging her as a "Mixed Breed" either way is fine with me.

Attachments

• Myx.jpg
    Myx.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 845
She's pretty, whatever she is. Good luck on her next litter- I'm sure she'll do better this time.

Is she Sr. age? If so she looks like a havana. Kinda long ears to be a havana but if shes just a mixed breed shes proly got a couple things in her.

Well she weights in round about 5 pounds from what my lame crappy bathroom scale cause thats all I have for the moment and she was born 5/3/2011 .

__________ Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:54 pm __________

So I dont know if she has any NZ in her, being around 5 pounds would it even be safe to breed her with my NZ buck or better with the lop??

__________ Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:54 pm __________

No, I wouldn't breed her to your NZ buck. Aim for the Lop if he's smaller.

She is Havana size but doesn't look like a Havana at all. I'd say she's a New Zealand mix.

if she seems to have new zealand in her id breed her to a new zealand buck..make sure hes on the smaller side and if you want to aim for making them into NZs then breed her to a small NZ buck then breed a baby from that to a regular size NZ and build your own line.

She looks like a new zealand black but she could be mixed with rex which would explain the smalller size.

LilFish_JWQueen(:":1pya28kh said:
if she seems to have new zealand in her id breed her to a new zealand buck..make sure hes on the smaller side and if you want to aim for making them into NZs then breed her to a small NZ buck then breed a baby from that to a regular size NZ and build your own line.

If the doe is only 5lbs though I don't think breeding her to a full sized NZ buck would be a good idea.

Cattle Cait":1gum55sf said:
LilFish_JWQueen(:":1gum55sf said:

If the doe is only 5lbs though I don't think breeding her to a full sized NZ buck would be a good idea.

Thats why i said a SMALL NZ buck... Ive gotten a NZ thats full sized only 6 pounds..and i bred it and the parents came from a well known breeder so definitely a full bred NZ.

Question...even if an NZ might be really small...if it's a full bred NZ wouldn't it carry the genes of heavier NZ? And possibly the babies than might be as big as a full-sized NZ? (I don't know a ton about rabbit genetics just my hypothetical)

I would imagine so but well this all can lead back to how you make a breed. you would think breeding a netherland dwarf to a french angora (which there is quit a weight difference) that there would be complications but what we have today is the jersey wooly.

I/m kinda agree with Cattle Cait, my NZ buck is a big boy but my Holland lop is her size. My plan is to bred her with my Holland and go from there. I dont want to bred her with the NZ and end up with babies she cant pass and then dieing. yaaaaaa no.

more than likely the netherland dwarf was the male, not the angora.

I have NZW/Dutch mixes. my nzw doe had failed breedings with the nzw buck and I wanted to see whose fault it was. I bred her to both bucks and She had all black & tan babies. He looked a little ridiculous mating her, but the babies are cute.

sommrluv":25rkc8zb said:
more than likely the netherland dwarf was the male, not the angora.

I have NZW/Dutch mixes. my nzw doe had failed breedings with the nzw buck and I wanted to see whose fault it was. I bred her to both bucks and She had all black & tan babies. He looked a little ridiculous mating her, but the babies are cute.

True..i didnt think of that lol but i recently bred a almost 6 lbs brood buck to a 2 lbs doe and she had babies just fine and they were actually perfect sized and really nice show quality.

I have heard that in horses, when breeding full sized stallions to pony mares, the size of the mare decides the birth size of the offspring. I copied the text below from a Gypsy Vanner site:

Many years ago, studies were done in England by Ron Barely where pony mares were bred to draft horse stallions. These mares foaled pony size foals, which developed into draft size adults. They then bred draft horse mares to pony stallions. These mares foaled larger than the average pony sized foal that developed into smaller than draft size adults.

The mare limits the size of the fetus to her own uterine capacity and therefore pelvic capacity. Fetal oversize is a very rare occurrence in horses and is usually associated with brain abnormalities (tumours or abnormal development) rather than to breed differences. As a mare has more and more foals, the uterus becomes more stretched, and so fetal size may increase over several years during the mare's breeding career. However, fetal size usually reaches a peak after several foals and then only genetics will play a role.

Studies have even been done where full-blooded shire embryos were transferred into Shetland pony mares. Each of the mares foaled, without difficulty, these purebred shire foals! Again the size of the fetus at birth was determined by the mare's uterine capacity than by genetics, although once the foal was on the ground and nursing, genetics kicked in and the foal quickly outgrew the mare.

So, while it is not generally recommended breeding draft horses to ponies, you can do it without worrying about injury to the mare. For maiden mares, it is generally safer to avoid breeding to stallions that tend to throw larger foals, to allow for ease of the delivery of its first foal. This makes the foaling experience a little easier for the maiden mare.

This may very well apply to rabbits as well. Personally, I'd breed your doe to the Netherland for her first litter or two, and then try the angora buck.

» To Top «

Latest posts

Back