New colors for my elops

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ilovehome

Reaction score
A friend and I are working on a color project. I bred her chocolate buck to my blue doe (whose mother is a known chocolate carrier). The chocolate buck has a sibling who is either a smoked pearl or blue point (or some other shaded color). The buck's three generation pedigree is all blues, blacks and blue or black torts, except his mother who is listed as a "blue, silver tipped steel". I have seen the doe, and the ticking is very light and she often passes as a blue.

The kits are three days old. Obviously, there is a black. The other two darker ones have slightly lighter bellies and ears, so I am not sure if they are chocolate or something else. The blue ones have some kind of ticking, I think. And the last one appears to be a lilac possibly. I know very little about the C series, except C_ and cc. So any help is appreciated!

Attachments

• IMG_5168.jpg
    IMG_5168.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_5173.jpg
    IMG_5173.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 670
  • IMG_5164.jpg
    IMG_5164.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 670
Thinking out loud here...In the past four years, there has never been any steel in my lines, so for the blues to be steels, the chocolate buck would need to be steel, wouldn't he? He looks straight chocolate, but not a real dark one. And because of the c series, I am wondering if the chocolates are really some type of sable. I will post pics again later. This is FUN!

If the buck is self chocolate and the doe self blue then that's all your can have also, steel is a rare colour in ELops so I doubt your dealing with it here

Have you gotten any chestnuts or chinchilla out of these two rabbits?

There are other modifiers that create darker and lighter rabbits with the same genotype and it is too soon to tell if you've got sables

New pictures taken at 7 days. No ticking...just dried skin or milk! LOL I am thinking one black, two chocolates, two blues, and a lilac. I say that because all of my elops come from 5 original breeders, and over the past 4 1/2 years, I have only had full color kits. The only recessive that has shown up has been the chocolate and that was about two years ago. Unless my doe is Cc, then the browns might be sable...but I have never had a REW, either. My friend thinks they are sable..they do look really dark for chocolates. Might have to wait another week or so to know for sure...

Attachments

• IMG_5181.jpg
    IMG_5181.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_5184_2.jpg
    IMG_5184_2.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_5188.jpg
    IMG_5188.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_5189.jpg
    IMG_5189.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 625
  • IMG_5191.jpg
    IMG_5191.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 625
Pictures again at two weeks. I am not seeing the shimmery tips I see on other two week old sables online. But they still seem dark...

Attachments

• IMG_5212.jpg
    IMG_5212.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_5213.jpg
    IMG_5213.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 563
  • IMG_5215.jpg
    IMG_5215.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 563
Looks like it will be a few more weeks when they are out of their baby coats before I will really know the color of this litter.

In the mean time, I've added some pictures of the velveteens because I am pretty sure there is a chocolate tort in there (broken black tort buck x blue tort doe) which was unexpected. An I am also not sure, but there might be a broken lilac tort. See what you think of the three brokens pictured together. They look like three different colors to me, but I am not sure.

__________ Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:26 am __________

I've also included one picture of an older elop litter-the broken with the two solids. What color is the middle one? (added in another post--over limit) Does it look like to you too? (Now I am confused...it was added to the original post...oh well)

Attachments

• IMG_5253.jpg
    IMG_5253.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_5268.jpg
    IMG_5268.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_5270.jpg
    IMG_5270.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_5271.jpg
    IMG_5271.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_5273.jpg
    IMG_5273.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 507
  • IMG_5276.jpg
    IMG_5276.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 507
Torts are extremely common in most of the lop breeds. You might want to consider being an elop or vlop lover. LOL

Unfortunately, there is a serious shortage of Mini Lop stock around me... since I'm looking for a couple of specific colors, (and decent type) that makes it even harder. :/

Yes, they are. I was surprised because there is not a single chocolate on the bucks pedigree. I bred this same buck to a chocolate doe a couple of weeks ago, so I now hope to see even more chocolate and maybe lilac vlops. She missed last time, so fingers crossed...

I have a question about the vlop ears... it looks like the crowns are further back than a mini lop? Or is that just the way they look? Definitely gives them an adorably sad look. :lol:

Latest posts

Back