New Color For Me.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truckinguy

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I had a kit born two weeks ago that is a brown like a jack rabbit. It's father is a steel NZ and mother is a black 3/4 NZ. I've had my rabbits four years now and never seen this color. I tried to post a pic from my iPhone but it won't accept it so I'll try to figure the problem out. I've had black, white, blue, red and steel NZ's but this one is a new color to me. On a related note, a REW kit from the same father/mother combination last summer has a light brown streak about two inches wide down his backbone and slight brown shading on the outside of his thighs. Not sure where this is coming from but I love it when I get something a bit odd.
I'll keep trying to figure out the pic problem. I might have to convert the pic to a different format.

Cool! Genetics are daunting to me, and I haven't studied them yet, but Devon's Mom Lauren knows a lot. Hopefully she or the other Genetics pros will have some ideas.

The REW intrigues me!

Good luck figuring out how to post your pics- you don't happen to have a teenager handy? They have an uncanny ability with technical stuff. (I'm getting old- I remember when I was the go-to person for my parents when the miraculous TV remote came out... sigh.)

I should be able to download them to the computer and post them from there but I'm having some long standing computer issues. I need a new one but it's not in the budget for the immediate future, lol!

I don't know anything about genetics but I love seeing a new litter grow out and seeing the colors that show up. I don't think I've seen this color in a NZ before. At a quick glance into the nestbox it looks like a very big mouse got in there somehow. Hmmm, maybe a brave mouse had his way with my doe while she was sleeping one night... lol!

Also, the belly is a very light beige, almost white.

Sounds like a straight -up chestnut.. if the father is steel perhaps he missed out on the steel gene? Not sure about the other one.. it has red eyes? It must be some sort of pointed/cali that *might* be a broken as well. is that a possibility?

I"m not sure. I bought all my original rabbits from Moonkitten so she would know more about the lineage than me. I don't know if there is Californian in their background. Unfortunately my iPhone screwed up this afternoon as I was trying to upgrade it online so I'm not sure if I'll be able to save the pics now. Just one technological nightmare after another around here.

The bunny colors sure are fun, though!

Back