New Cages for Woolys

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tm_bunnyloft

Reaction score
I looked all over this town for new cages and everything was junk that I came across.

So I decided to get dog kennels. I am going to add a raised floor to them, a few inches over the tray. And also a few inches of baby saver wire around the sides. I bought 4 - 17 x 24 cages today. Tomorrow I am going to go and buy two large cages for the does when they have popples. And of course add a floor to it.

I figure I can stack 3 high of the small cages and two of the large cages. As long as my floors turn out, which they should, I will be continuing with these kennels for my rabbitry.

The top cage is my sons rabbit. She gets the place of honor because she is litter trained in her cage and the tray doesnt come out of that one. lol
I did put litter pans in all the cages. One can only hope they will use them at least part of the time. :)

Attachments

• web 55 a.jpg
    web 55 a.jpg
    505.4 KB · Views: 705
Good idea and they look nice also. I have 2 large dog crates I use without trays for the rabbits to spend time out on the weeds.

Very nice. The midwest rabbit crates I have look pretty much like the midwest dog crates I have, except for the wire floors.

My Flemish is in a big dog crate and I have to say, it's so much better than my cages. My husband put a nice size perch in it so Fawkes loves to get up on it and stretch out. If I had known how much easier they are to clean than regular cages, I'd have all dog crates.

Set up looks really nice!

Karen

Cool. So im just reinventing the wheel. Lol

And here I thought I was a genius for my idea. ;)

__________ Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:35 am __________

Big shop vacuum will do the trick for cleaning<br /><br />__________ Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:54 pm __________<br /><br />I put wire floors in the cages today and got some pretty huge blisters. The J clips didnt work out that well so I am going to order some hog rings and see if they work better. In the mean time they are off the floor of their cages and I am all the happier for it. :) I am really happy with how well they are working. Once I get hog rings I will be putting baby saver wire up a couple of inches on the sides as well. I want to get a couple of large dog cages to use as litter cages. But that may have to wait until I figure out the floor wire situation. I need a clip that will go around two peices of the metal rod that the dog crates are made of plus a piece of GAW as well.

tm_bunnyloft":3aunmuvq said:
I am going to order some hog rings and see if they work better.

Hog rings are super sharp at the ends. I think it was Grumpy that mentioned he uses heavy duty zip ties and the rabbits don't chew on them. I use zip ties to attach the litter jugs to the sides of my cages, and even with the exposed length of it they haven't chewed them.

I have (and still do) use zip ties to put cages together. It was only supposed to be temporary, but now it's been a year, and the zip ties are going strong (and unchewed).

Hubs is bringing at least 200 home tonight per my request. I will have the floors and baby saver in tomorrow if all goes well. In the mean time they are up off the floor so they are happy. :)

It was temporarily but didn't work to well. There is now a GAW cage wire floor in them about 3 inches above the tray. They all seem much happier for the new flooring. And I am too. The little mini rex doe in the top cage of my kids is litter box trained as long as she is in her cage. Take her out and she forgets all manners. Silly Rabbit!!!!<br /><br />__________ Thu Oct 18, 2012 1:16 am __________<br /><br />I will take new pics tomorrow. They are really nice now. I want more cages made like this now. I love being able to stack them. And now I can pull out the tray and dump it or take the shop vac to it. easy peasy!!!

Latest posts

Back