New Bun here

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Binkie

Reaction score
Howdy everyone I’m new to breeding and been reading a lot on rabbit genetics. I’m curious to hear from more experienced folk on a potential breeding pair. The doe is a brown chinchilla and buck is a solid opal. Curious to know what their offspring would bring. I know the doe comes from an otter box mother with magpie, harlequin and chinchilla genetics. I do not know the male’s lineage and am finding out.

First photo is of the mother (Pearl) and her baby (Marbles) from my first litter. Second photo is of Beau a potential father for my next litter. What type of babies shall I expect from this pairing?

Attachments

• 28522FC6-EEAE-45C8-90CE-30941CABCBBC.jpeg
    28522FC6-EEAE-45C8-90CE-30941CABCBBC.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 7B438B71-105B-497E-A9FB-5500A23F0656.png
    7B438B71-105B-497E-A9FB-5500A23F0656.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Howdy everyone I’m new to breeding and been reading a lot on rabbit genetics. I’m curious to hear from more experienced folk on a potential breeding pair. The doe is a brown chinchilla and buck is a solid opal. Curious to know what their offspring would bring. I know the doe comes from an otter box mother with magpie, harlequin and chinchilla genetics. I do not know the male’s lineage and am finding out.

First photo is of the mother (Pearl) and her baby (Marbles) from my first litter. Second photo is of Beau a potential father for my next litter. What type of babies shall I expect from this pairing?
Looks to me like Pearl, and possibly Marbles as well, is harlequinized. Here are some of the color variations that lead me to conclude that:inked broken rex.jpg

What her color is, is hard to say from this photo, and I'm not sure what brown chinchilla is. Do you mean chocolate chinchilla? I could go along with that.

If Pearl is a broken harlequinized chocolate chinchilla, she is <A_ bb Cchd_ D_ ?ej Enen> I'm not familiar with the term "otter box," but if her dam was otter, Pearl may carry tan <at> behind her agouti <A>, or even self <a>.
The opal buck Beau is <A_ B_ C_ dd E_ enen> He could have recessives behind any of those loci other than dilute, which he is completely recessive for. His pedigree might help enlighten what some of those others may be.

So, especially if you do not have the pedigrees, it's pretty hard to narrow down what you'll get. The only things I think you could say for sure are that all the bunnies will carry at least one copy of dilute <d> (though whether they look dilute depends on the if the dam also carries dilute), and they will all carry at least one copy of chocolate <b>(again, whether they look chocolate depends on if the sire also carries chocolate).

You can guess that roughly half of the kits may be broken colored, but that's not at all a done deal; I've had litters of 100% brokens, and others of 100% solids, when I bred a broken x solid.

You would also look for harlequinization in some or all of the kits.

If you can post the pedigrees it might be possible to make better estimates of what colors you'll see.

Last edited:
Wow thank you so much for the detailed response! Chocolate chinchilla vs brown yes that’s what I was told she is. From her previous owner had mentioned she has had some litters with harlequins. I’ll just have to breed them together and find out! Didn’t know if it was possible to get magpie/harlequin/chinchillas from an opal male being that the mother is a carrier of those genetics. I’ll have to find out the bucks pedigree because if he is a carrier of any of those genes it’ll be higher probability for the kits from my understanding. Thank you greatly! I’ll share updates on the litter if you or anyone else is interested and in knowing the results.
Looks to me like Pearl, and possibly Marbles as well, is harlequinized. Here are some of the color variations that lead me to conclude that:View attachment 37673

What her color is, is hard to say from this photo, and I'm not sure what brown chinchilla is. Do you mean chocolate chinchilla? I could go along with that.

If Pearl is a broken harlequinized chocolate chinchilla, she is <A_ bb Cchd_ D_ ?ej Enen> I'm not familiar with the term "otter box," but if her dam was otter, Pearl may carry tan <at> behind her agouti <A, or even self <a>.
The opal buck Beau is <A_ B_ C_ dd E_ enen> He could have recessives behind any of those loci other than dilute, which he is completely recessive for. His pedigree might help enlighten what some of those others may be.

So, especially if you do not have the pedigrees, it's pretty hard to narrow down what you'll get. The only things I think you could say for sure are that all the bunnies will carry at least one copy of dilute <d> (though whether they look dilute depends on the if the dam also carries dilute), and they will all carry at least one copy of chocolate <b>(again, whether they look chocolate depends on if the sire also carries chocolate).

You can guess that roughly half of the kits may be broken colored, but that's not at all a done deal; I've had litters of 100% brokens, and others of 100% solids, when I bred a broken x solid.

You would also look for harlequinization in some or all of the kits.

If you can post the pedigrees it might be possible to make better estimates of what colors you'll see.

Back