NEW BABY GOATS!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pics... pi-i-cs! P-i-i-i-cs! (and some grain and hay too, please, to shut the goats up for a minute!)

We have 2 wethers (Angora and Nigerian Dwarf cross) that we need to butcher soon. I've heard that giving them AC vinegar prior to butchering cuts the "goaty" flavor... we want to eat these two to see if we even like to eat goat, and then I plan to get some Boers to replace the mutt goats if we like it. Is there a noticeable difference in flavor between meat goats and mutt goats, or is the difference mainly in the amount of meat?

boar goats are your market breed like new zealands californians and a few other breeds are you market rabbit breeds. they have a lot more meat on them and goat tastes like beef in my oppion

MamaSheepdog":2p006g93 said:
Pics... pi-i-cs! P-i-i-i-cs! (and some grain and hay too, please, to shut the goats up for a minute!)

We have 2 wethers (Angora and Nigerian Dwarf cross) that we need to butcher soon. I've heard that giving them AC vinegar prior to butchering cuts the "goaty" flavor... we want to eat these two to see if we even like to eat goat, and then I plan to get some Boers to replace the mutt goats if we like it. Is there a noticeable difference in flavor between meat goats and mutt goats, or is the difference mainly in the amount of meat?

MSD.... we never had 'flavor issues' with the wethers... now a full buck... whole different ballgame ...( pun intended)....

Chevon ( goat) is a lot like lamb...only much leaner. personally i like it. However... ( always a however...) There is a lot less actual meat on a goat than on a lamb. Boers might be better in the meat dept. But seems like a lot of feeding for the amount of meat.

Thanks, RR.

Yes, I was told recently that even a full grown 125 pound goat, you get only about 10 to 15 pounds of meat! Maybe I should get sheep instead if we like it- or just scrap the project and get some pigs.

MamaSheepdog":3cj9dh29 said:
Thanks, RR.

Yes, I was told recently that even a full grown 125 pound goat, you get only about 10 to 15 pounds of meat! Maybe I should get sheep instead if we like it- or just scrap the project and get some pigs.

We had our goats primarily for dairy... the meat was a way to use the males or other culls. Lamb...i Luv !!! and Homegrown pork...heaven !

Back