New babies- Color Question

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volz83

Reaction score
So I'm just starting out in breeding and showing Holland Lop rabbits. My first doe had her kits this Saturday and I was wondering about possible colors. First, the buck is a solid tort had a steel-smoke pearl mom with one broken sable point, a red, black otter, broken black and an opal in his pedigree and his sister is a broken blue tort. The doe is a broken tort who's grandfather (on her mother's side) was a steel-smoke pearl with no other color besides one black otter in her pedigree.

Here are the kits pictured at day two! One broken and two solid (she had four but one's a peanut so no need for pic of it). I was wondering what you thought the solids could be? The breeder that I purchased the parents from thinks blue tort on them and the broken. Please DO note that my camera added a slight brownish tent to the whole picture. It might be hard from the picture but I think one kit "might" have a brownish tent on the top of it's back while the other does not. I will have to check again.

1973842_orig.jpg

I'm hoping for either blue tort or smoke pearl.. both the solid kits have a pink skin and you can see it around their necks better. The insides of their ears are also pink. I will post updated pictures as they get their fur in!

The kit on the left looks like a blue tort, the center top kit a broken blue tort, and I'm not sure about the kit on the right. It will be easier of,course once they are a few days older.

The broken def looks like my blue tort, three days from now it will be easier.

Welcome to Rabbit Talk! Congratulations on the beautiful litter of Hollands! New to colors but does look like you have two torts. Will look forward to seeing them in a few days when their fur really starts to come in and try to make another guess. They are precious. Congratulations again.

Karen

:welcome: to RabbitTalk, Volz83! :)

I agree that two may be torts, but I only have personal experience with my two LionHead Kits that are torts. The majority of my rabbits are Standard Rex, so no torts there!

They look very healthy. Congratulations! :D

Thanks everyone! I am thrilled that they are blue tort, it's one of my favorite colors! Momma is taking such great care of them! I will post another picture this week as soon as their fur comes in. :-D

Small update: Checked on kits this morning to make sure everyone was fed and both the solids have no sign of brown on them! Just a beautiful grey/blue coat! Fur is coming in and today they are 3 days old. ^_^

Question:

With the info I gave about both the parent's background and from what they have produced in these kits.. is it possible for them to produce smoke pearl or would that be rare? The buck's mom was a steel-smoke pearl and the great grandfather (on does mother's side) was the same. I'm still learning about colors, how they are passed down. I'm also seeing various "shades" of blue torts.. I see some that are almost all blue but have a tint of orange/brown saddle but others look just like a normal black tort but of course have a blue tint. I'm hoping mine have more of a solid blue shading if it's possible.

Back