New and expecting baby rabbit soon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
This is my first time posting. I read through the whole meat rabbit forum (I didn't ready all post, just ones that interested me). I thought it was time to post. I am not new to rabbits but haven't raised them for a while. I started out this time with 3 does and a buck I got from CL. They are older (most 4 and one 3 but I got them for a really good price ($5 each and they are nice looking rabbits). My plan was to breed them for my daughter to show the babies as a meat pen for 4-H. I figured even if some didn't produce or they had small litters she would be able to get at least 1 meat pen out of the bunch. When I got them home for some reason the buck's back legs didn't work. Couldn't figure out why and eventually had to put him down (not sure if it was trauma from the ride home, age, or what). So I searched and search and couldn't find another buck. I finally found one and went to take a look at it. He wasn't very good quality but it was all I could find so I bought him and took him home. So on the breeding date for the show I put the doe in with him and he tried and tried but none of the does would cooperate. I even tried leaving him in the cages with them overnight and nothing happened. So I ended up having to buy her some instead. Then I saw and add on CL for some free show quality bucks (they had too many and didn't want to butcher them) so I got 2 free nice looking, petagreed bucks. Then I was looking on CL and saw an add for some Californian and Cal/NZ cross rabbits. I went to take a look and they looked great. Ended up getting 7 does and a buck (3 pure bred Cali's, 1 red NZ, and 3 Cali/NZ cross does, and Cali/nz buck) plus a 2 compartment cage all for only $100. The red NZ got out of her cage a few days after I got her and our dog got her (very sad, she looked great and was such a pretty color). So now I have 9 does and 4 bucks (but the 1st poor quality one won't be around much longer). My plans for the rabbits is to raise for meat for us and to sell some for livestock shows. I tried again with the original 3 and they still didn't want to cooperate. So I tried the string on the tail and managed to get them bred. They are due on the 30th and 31 (that will be day 31). I hope they have them Tuesday because they weather will be warmer then (Monday low is 30 and Tuesday is 43). I am so excited! Sorry this was so long.

Don't be surprised if they go to day 32 or even a bit later. Sounds like you will be very busy soon. I wish my CL had better offerings like you are getting. Best of luck and I hope they took.

Don't be surprised if the pregnancy doesn't take. I bought rabbits over 2 years old and they refuse to lift or never deliver. I guess it's best to start with younger rabbit.

lilrabbitry715":5o3w3tmf said:
Don't be surprised if the pregnancy doesn't take. I bought rabbits over 2 years old and they refuse to lift or never deliver. I guess it's best to start with younger rabbit.

I figured it was worth a try. If they don't they were only $5 each and if they don't do well we can butcher them. The lady that had them before didn't breed too hard so they may have some breedings left in them.

lilrabbitry715":281qnv20 said:

I started with older rabbits, one of them five years old, and they were great! And I just bought 8 older does - between two and four - and so far, all but one has been a great mother and she had a hard time settling into a cage with a nest cage built in so gets another try or two.

But sometimes younger stock is good, just depends on the rabbits really.

Welcome welcome! :D

GBov":rmxgs1qh said:
lilrabbitry715":rmxgs1qh said:

I started with older rabbits, one of them five years old, and they were great! And I just bought 8 older does - between two and four - and so far, all but one has been a great mother and she had a hard time settling into a cage with a nest cage built in so gets another try or two.

But sometimes younger stock is good, just depends on the rabbits really.

Welcome welcome! :D

Thanks for the words of encouragement! I have been keeping an eye on them and they all have nest boxes but no nests made yet (but I know some wait until shortly before delivery to make them). Today is day 29 and 30 for them, so I am getting more anxious as the days pass.

As I had a doe go on day 42, the next few days will be looooooooooong ones.

Hopefully worth the wait though!

Back