Neutering a pet rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MR_ND

Reaction score
I recently sold off all my Mini Rex rabbits except one. I have limited space so I am switching to Netherland Dwarf's/Dwarves. I've had this buck Shadow as I have named him since he was born in my Oops! litter a year ago. I would like to neuter him but I can't see spending $400 plus dollars at the only rabbit savvy vet near me which is still over an hour away. I read about using a 10% Calcium Chloride solution to make the testicles shrivel up, you inject 0.2 mL into the bottom of the testicle and it will dry up in a couple of days. Has anyone tried this? Was it successful? If not this method do you have other suggestions?

All US sources I found (cannot speak for other countries where it's more common) it is questionable and has not become popular due to the exactness of where you have to inject and the amount of pain it causes. You are killing all tissue in the area you inject. Some think it may cause even more pain than a regular neuter. The people I read who had tried it first hand on small animals all had access to anesthesia and/or strong pain killers. Those problems are being investigated in the US as well as the possibility of using it to kill sperm without lessening hormones both in performance animals and possibly in humans in the future. It is advertised by one company as reducing testosterone not eliminating it.

I found a post for you to look over on the subject:

post39280.html

Why do you want to neuter him though? If you are hoping to stop him from spraying urine, I would think that at a year old the habit is already set and neutering him wont change it.

MamaSheepdog":38nqs8ku said:
I found a post for you to look over on the subject:

post39280.html

Why do you want to neuter him though? If you are hoping to stop him from spraying urine, I would think that at a year old the habit is already set and neutering him wont change it.

Thanks that's the one where I found the ideal of using Calcium Chloride. The reason I want to neuter is partially experimental, but I also have limited space so if he is neutered I can keep him with other rabbits.

He gets along with other rabbits fine it's just I don't want him to be trying to breed it. I was thinking on using him as my weaning buddy for kits I wean, as kind of an adult rabbit for the kits to socialize and interact with.

If it doesn't stop the spraying that's fine it won't bother me, I have been training him for agility and if I compete at events I don't want him to be focused on all the does around. <br /><br /> -- Sun Apr 27, 2014 6:27 pm -- <br /><br /> Do you think it would be better if I tried to rehome him and find him a good pet home?

I don't know the specifics of rabbit jumping/hopping/agility, but...are you allowed to give the rabbits treats during competition? or are treats only for training? (as with dog agility and other sports, where treats are permitted for training but not during competition)

Is it an agility requirement that the participants (rabbits) be spayed/neutered, or are intact animals welcome? Either kind can participate in the dog world, with the exception of female dogs in season: they may not participate. But since female rabbits don't go into season like dogs do, I don't know what the approach is.

I originally hoped that I'd be able to train Parsley Graybuns as an agility bun, but he absolutely hates wearing a harness. Fights it tooth and claw. :( This also means that I can't take him outside on a leash and let him eat the garden plants that I'd like him to have the pleasure of "discovering" for himself. I pick them for him and bring them inside; not nearly as much fun as it would be watching him nom-nomming his way through them! But without the harness, no leash, therefore no agility/no grazing in the garden.

So...if treats are allowed *at* competitions, just not during the actual event the bun is running, maybe his attention can remain on you???

Latest posts

Back