Neutered Bucks

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildWolf

Reaction score
Has anyone else heard that neutering/spaying rabbits is very very stressful for the rabbits? Can you let neutered bucks live together? Neutered bucks can live with does, even if they aren't spayed, right?

I have heard that rabbits are very sensitive to anesthesia, so surgery of any kind is risky.

As for them living together or with does, I don't know. It probably depends on the individual rabbits. I imagine if you wanted two bucks to live together, you would have the best chance of success if they were neutered well before they reach sexual maturity.

my buck was neutered at 7 months old. no problems, no stress. the only thing he didn't like was the oral painkiller for two days afterward.

I've had 1 rabbit and 3 guinea pigs neutered. Never a problem. Just make sure the vet has experience because they are slightly different from neutering other animals. First off they are sensitive to anesthesia and vets that use the more expensive kind are going to have better success rates and second there is a ring of muscle that in most animals closes after the testes drop but with guinea pigs and rabbits this doesn't happen. They can still pull their testes in to their body cavity. This inner ring needs sewn shut as well as the outside layer of skin after surgery to prevent anything from prolapsing between the layers. That's why I'm somewhat against home neutering techniques and selling rabbits as neutered when that inner ring hasn't been closed without telling the buyer.

Neutered rabbits should be able to live together but every rabbit has it's own personality so you will still have to do careful introductions, provide enough space, and be ready for it to not work out.

Thanks akane, that really helps. So, can a neutered male and spayed female live together? Can a neutered male and an unaltered female live together? Or can an unaltered male and a spayed female live together?

you ask if neutered males can live together? yes. Caveat...just like with any living organism, they each have their own personalities and two individuals may not "click". Note: sometimes three click where two don't. Sometimes three might not work, but put a wire between the non-clicker and the clickees and nose rubs and lying side by side will occur. Individual natures will show through.

Can a neutered male and non-altered female live together? Yes. see above caveat.

Can two neutered animals live together? Yes, see above caveat.

People often forget that their animals are quite individualistic in nature. Some simply want to live alone, some need to learn that togetherness is good, and some immediately love their partners. it all depends on the individual animals. :)

WildWolf":1thj3pbf said:
Or can an unaltered male and a spayed female live together?

I'd be a little hesitant to try this combination. The male might harass the female too much and she could turn on him. Again, it depends on the personalities of the rabbits.

When I first got into rabbits as pets, I wanted a pair. The breeder warned me that when they hit sexual maturity that issues, like fighting could occur. I got them both neutered, with no problem, at 4-1/2 months by a Rabbit Savvy Vet, who raised meat rabbits. He warned me that things can change in the relationship of these males and that it could get nasty. It did. Two months after the neutering of both, Woke up to find one had "barbered" the other's face. I got off lucky. My rabbits now live in the same room, but all in separate crates. Will never try to bond again.

I have to echo what everyone else said. A rabbit is an individual, and when they hit sexual maturity, a bond that started as babes, could turn ugly. Just hope for the best, but prepare for the worse. And both male and female should be neutered/spayed to be able to give the best chance of bonding.

Also they are my only neutered male. Have two others that I will not use for breeding, but they are very calm, friendly, with no spraying habits, so I don't feel they need to be neutered.

Karen

I had bonded brothers who initially got along okay, but the dominance humping was all one sided...Ralph being "the jerk". Eventually, he got aggressive and I stepped in before it got violent. I found a rabbit vet who knew enough to keep the rabbits eating until surgery time (rabbits can't vomit so there's no danger of them vomiting while under anesthesia--my first hint that the vet knows what they are talking about.) Turned out that Ralph had non-descended testicles and had to have invasive surgery to find them.

Ralph, always more assertive, now lives with a very assertive intact doe. He is very protective of his doe, getting in front of her when I approach the cage and bumping my hands when I need to catch her. All dominance humping I've observed were doe initiated, and over in a few days.

His brother Louie, always the calmer and more affectionate of the two, lives with a standard rex doe who is spayed. She has a very strong character, but the two of them are extremely bonded. With Louie being the more tame of the two.

Since Ralph and Faye's cage is inside Stella and Louie's pen, Ralph was able to escape the cage into their pen while I had my hands full with Faye. The "layed back" pair chased Ralph together and some fur was pulled within seconds. I was able to capture Ralph and return him to the cage without injury. These pairs frequently switch living quarters and interact through the cage wire all the time.....but the question has been answered. The four of them cannot share space.

A friend of mine had kept her rabbits in cages for years until i made a pen in my backyard and started a colony.
She then did the same and neutered her 2 bucks and tried to bond them but one of the buck felt threatened in his own territory and kept lashing out to the others, eventually he was separated for 2 weeks with his daughter. She tried to bond them again and the next day, a doe was wounded around her lower belly and a young rex doe's back was ripped open to the skin..
She wasn't sure who was the culprit but she blamed the same buck and separated him again for a week, until she resized the pen and made it bigger. The buck was brought in the colony again and now acted more 'shy'. The other buck kept challenging him for a few days, they chased and fought a little but then they finally calmed down and made friends. The colony now consists of 2 neutered bucks and 5 doe's.
The injured little Rex doe is still kept separated, poor little thing.. she is barely living.

The black lop is so funny yet adorable :lol: People threw her over the fence in her backyard.. how can you dump such a sweet rabbit?
391196_3859736210611_322822341_n.jpg

Also, they neuter every buck that comes into a rescue/shelter, here in HL.
And people also neuter their bucks to bond them to a doe or a group, it's a common 'rule' here to neuter your buck.
I'm also waiting to make an appointment with a vet who is specialized in neutering animals, probably in a few weeks.
My buck is free roaming in the backyard and he always sits in front of my colony and teases the girls, he tries to get to them and managed 2x already, luckily none are bred but i don't want to risk it a 3rd time so i will either neuter him or sell him.
I have already found myself a gorgeous new buck to replace him with so you gotta make choices. :)

That answers the question well. :)
I really hope I can start breeding soon... I already found a place very close to get rabbits from.

Latest posts

Back