Netherland Dwarfs

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
What's the difference between an otter and a tan, visually? (I know the genetics.) I got a black otter yesterday and what appears to be another black otter. Smith's Kit, however, has beige body ticking with only a little orange-y on the base of her neck. Bonnie has dark orange body ticking (and far more color) with a beige belly. I can post pictures later, but I'm super dizzy today.

Anyway. :choir: More bunnies for me! Smith's Kit is four years old. She's a certified grand champion, proven doe, and has dilute and chinchilla dark in her lines. Her sire and grandsire have over ten legs each. Bonnie has no pedigree and she's only ten weeks, but she's from the same breeder and looks really nice--like a miniature of Kit. And, best of all, they appear healthy and are cuddle bugs. Baby Bonnie is in my lap, chilling, at the moment. Lalo Silva has some great rabbits.

I'm a happy camper, definitely. (To top it off, Jasmine is eating again.)

A tan is an otter with two recessive wideband genes (also seen in red rabbits like New Zealand's and thriantras and is not a common gene)

Wideband extends the red/orange pigment in agouti based rabbits and eliminates the white/cream giving the illusion of a self rabbit and in otters it turns the belly red.

A lack of Rufus factors can make the trim look pale instead of vibrant red.

Back