Nesting boxes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
I have seen several different types of nest boxes. Metal, wood, wire, solid floor, slotted floors, wire w/cardboard. I live in the northwest corner of Missouri and was wanting to know which box is better for my area. I plan to raise Californians for personal consumption. Any and all advice is appreciated.

I don't really know what is best for your area, but I can say what I use, and why.

I'm in north western PA and I've been breeding during the cold months since last year.
I use the wooden type nestbox with solid bottoms, because my kits have a way of working themselves to the bottom of a nestbox, and I wouldn't want them to chill on wire.
I fill the boxes with straw (because I have access to good cheap straw, it's more insulating than hay, and less desirable as a food to the does.)
I use a handful or two of pelleted pine horse bedding underneath the straw (an idea I picked up from other RT members. it helps keep things nice and dry.)

I have one set of nestboxes that I slightly modify for winter breeding. They are wooden with wire bottoms. During winter, I staple a piece of cardboard to the outside of the bottom. I remove the cardboard when the kits open their eyes, along with replacing all of the nestbox material.

For nest materials, I put in a layer of pine shavings, then hay. I also give some handfuls of hay to my does for "renovations". I also hoard dryer lint in case the does don't pull a lot of fur.

We made our nest boxes out of white cutting boards for the sides, and secured 1/2" hardware cloth to the bottoms. Very easy to sanitize and the insulation value seems good, plus the waste is allowed to drop down through the wire. In the winter we put a piece of cardboard under the bottom for extra insulation, as it can easily be replaced as needed.

DH also made little shelters out of cutting boards for when we remove the nest box. It has three sides and a top, but no bottom. We just place it in the cage when we remove the nest box, and it provides a little shelter from the wind and another shelf for the kits to climb on. So far no one has chewed on them at all.

Latest posts

Back