Nesting box removal?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxine

Reaction score
My baby bunnies are now 4 1/2 weeks old and I'm wondering if we can ditch the nesting box. It stinks. I've cleaned it a couple times but they poop and pee in it and I'm ready to just ditch it.

Also, do most people remove the doe from the cage at 6 weeks?

I remove the box at 2-3 weeks. I don't like to move my does around, so I move the kits. I wean anywhere between 4-5 weeks.

Oh good, glad to get that out of there.

To wean them do you just move the bunnies then or is there a process to wean them so the doe doesn't have milk issues?

I usually just move them all. I haven't had any issues with mastitis, but I know others have.

There are six babes, so maybe half one day and half the next?

Thank you!

Maxine":270wx7lu said:
There are six babes, so maybe half one day and half the next?

Thank you!

I am sure that whatever you feel comfortable with will be fine... :)

I have moved kits and I have moved does without an issue either way. Sometimes I will leave the smallest kit with the doe for a day or several.

When my husband built our second hutch he built it larger, for the grow out bunnies. When we set it all up, I put Licorice in there so they would have more room. The book I have says, move the Mom back to her cage and leave the bunnies where it still smells like mom, so less trauma. So I think maybe , I'll clean up her old cage and move her and the smaller buns in there with her. Leaving the big guys on their own.

Maxine":3b3jqijp said:
When my husband built our second hutch he built it larger, for the grow out bunnies. When we set it all up, I put Licorice in there so they would have more room. The book I have says, move the Mom back to her cage and leave the bunnies where it still smells like mom, so less trauma. So I think maybe , I'll clean up her old cage and move her and the smaller buns in there with her. Leaving the big guys on their own.

Just out of curiousity, what book is it? :popcorn:

Back