Nest Box

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CanadianRabbit

Reaction score
Hi - my New Zealand White Doe is due in ~ 8 days. (first time breeding meat rabbits)

I just build this nest box for her from plans I found online. However when talking to a rabbit breeder he said the front dimension may be to short.

From the bottom of the inside to the top is only 4". (outside is 4 3/4") (photo 1)

Anyone use a nest box with a front this short? Would anyone recommend not going this short?

I can add a lip to the front like in photo 2 (I made it just in case - just haven't glued and stapled it on yet). Would this help?

Or should I just make a new box with a taller front.

Also - for nesting material - can I just use hay/timothy grass? Or should I really put some wood shavings down first?

THANKS!

Attachments

• nestbox2.JPG
    nestbox2.JPG
    496.8 KB · Views: 411
  • nestbox1.JPG
    nestbox1.JPG
    528.7 KB · Views: 411
I would put the strip on the front- it will act as a "scraper" if any kits are still latched on and the doe jumps out of the nest. Very nice workmanship on the box, by the way. :clap2:

I'll try to get a measurement of my metal nest boxes to see what the standard height is.

I put pine shavings in the bottom of my nests, add hay, and also give the doe hay to gather. Sometimes I also add brown grocery bags put through our document shredder. The small strips of paper mix well with the fur pulled by the doe.

What works for one does not always work for another:
But I use Pine shavings and Hay in the colder months.
I find that in the warmer months the shavings are not necessary.
I go with just Grasshay.
Whatever floats your Boat!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I think you put far too much time and effort into sanding the edges. But the rabbits will fix that in no time.
Nice nest for now. But it's also summer, so be careful of overheated kits.

Chickiesnbunnies - anything you would suggest to keep kits cool or how to prevent overheating or what to look for?

(also - I used to run a custom woodworking company so I couldn't resist sanding the edges and making a nice box :)

CanadianRabbit":3bsu86ug said:
Chickiesnbunnies - anything you would suggest to keep kits cool or how to prevent overheating or what to look for?

The easiest way to keep them from over heating is to Not breed where there is not any born during the "hot" months.

If you are going to breed, fans, froze water bottles, tiles for the doe to lay on and a AC building would be nice!

CanadianRabbit":1pxrbdz2 said:
also - I used to run a custom woodworking company so I couldn't resist sanding the edges and making a nice box :)

I just noticed you counter-sunk the drainage and ventilation holes. :p I don't care if the rabbits will "modify" the box- I admire your attention to detail. :clap2:

*This from the daughter and sister of two Master Journeyman Cabinet Makers*

Very nice, maybe yours will not chew.

I give fresh apple and mulberry branches to all the rabbits so maybe I have trained ours to not chew their boxes. So far, not a bite mark on any of them.

The next boxes I make I am going to route the front so I can easily remove the front piece for when the kits leave the box. I am thinking about routing the bottom sides and back so I could slide a bottom in and out.

Still figuring it out but it would be nice to just start with fresh wood for the bottom for each litter. Sending good thoughts for a successful litter.

Great ideas! Sliding panels in the box would be great. Good access, easier to clean, and you can replace parts as they get dirty or for every litter.

Very nice box, anyone who acually spends time being creative is ok in my books. Mabee keep a pine cone in the pen to give her somthing to chew besides the box, my rabbits love them.

OwnedByTheBuns - I attached a photo I found online of what a countersink looks like (photo is on metal - but you can do it in wood,plastic, or whatever building material you are using).

Usually it is used when a screw needs to sit flush with the surface. It's also used to ensure no burrs or sharp pieces of wood can get caught on anything and it also looks nice.

Attachments

• Countersink.JPG
    Countersink.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 315
Drywall screws are the cat's meow.
A little expensive..but I use them more than nails.

Nice lookin' nestbox.

I use 7/16" OSB and 1 1/4" crown staples w/glue.
OSB's gotten completely ridiculous cost-wise.
Last year it was $7.99 a sheet.
This year it's $15.99 a sheet. :x

grumpy

For nest box I use a throw away wood vegetable box from the store and a piece of 2X4 at the entrance. It is free and no labor involved.
When the little ones start coming out and chase the doe for milk she hops on top of the box for a rest. But very fast they learn how to hop there too.

CanadianRabbit, what general part of Ontario are you in? I used to try to time litters around our six really hot weeks (mid-June to the end of July) but other than that I find that the litters do just fine in summer. Now that my rabbits are in a colony, they seem to take a break during the worst of the heat and other than that breed at any time of year. I'm near Lake Ontario, not too far from Belleville.

I use shavings in bottom of nestbox and change regularly. I use straw in colder months because it insulates better so it is warmer. Plus the doe won't eat it as readily as hay.

looks great to me. I did not have any "cling on" babies so i think the hieght is good. I did however put 1/2 x 1/2 wire for the bottom with straw. I thought it would be cleaner.

Back