Nest Box question!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Millinex

Reaction score
I've read some varying thing about nest boxes, but I constantly see one "style" of nest boxes used- and had a few questions regarding such.

How important is that "one style" of box, you all know the one I'm sure, and how massively important is using a nest box when the cage is not an entire wire floor? I built a section into each hutch that has a wooden floor, some with a small dividing wall giving a little privacy, it's a little "hide" if you will, very enclosed, and I add straw to this for their bedding to sleep on. Would they not simply use this in place of a box?

I've also raised rabbits indoors a couple times, using your standard pet quality kaytee cages and such, in one instance. I was given a female who randomly gave birth one night in a sterlite bin. I have always used well padded litter pans or small shoeboxes lined with hay/straw, and things like carefresh and such along with the does own fur of course.

Are these viable options long term/for large groups? I'm dreading building many "cookie cutter" nest boxes as I'm not that great with small craftsmanship, but I do have 5 does currently pregnant with 7-8 more on the way. I wasn't worried about it, but the more I read the more I'm worried about the ways I've always raised them and feeling like I'm somehow doing it horribly wrong.

Previous does all raised/weaned perfectly, stillborn here and there, but never had real issues...

Thanks for any input.

Can't say much about a whole group, but the hutch style your describing has one flaw.

The 'built in' nest boxes often allow for the kits to crawl out of the nest itself and get chilled to death on the wire. My 'cookie cutter' nest boxes have a five inch lip in the front (on a 1'x2' box), so that the babes can't crawl out. At that hight, I've yet to even have a kit that's still latched to mom get drug out of the box, but its still not impossible. (We're not including my indoor JW kits that learned how to make a pyramid and escape their box, since being inside in the warmth negated the usual 'huddle in the back of the nest' behavior that I see with my other litters)

Don't feel like your doing it wrong. If a sterilite container works for you, we'll, then it works. That's basically how I judge things. If it works (with happy and healthy rabbits, of course), why fix it, right? If it doesn't work, well, then that's when plan B comes into play. Good luck whatever path you take, and if your bent on using those hutches, you might think to install a board across the bottom of the divider to the nest area that the kits can't get over.

I've already got the pieces set to add in said lip, as I have thought about that as well, just to keep them from doing exactly that, or having their feet outside etc, I just haven't installed them yet as the litters are still a couple weeks off, I figure I'll put them on at 28 days and see how it goes.

Once you put the lip on, as long as it is at least 4" high, and preferably more like 6", the babies should stay in the nest. Some of them may still get dragged out into the cage if they don't let go of Mom.

There's nothing magic about the typical nest box pattern. You can go to the dollar store and buy dishpans. Voila, nest boxes! :) They may not be warm enough in the winter, as I know it does get cold there.

I think its all about keeping kits contained-- I think 4 inch sides isn't high enough, I think 6-7 inches is good
When the babies get to day 10 they start trying to crawl out and if the doe has stuffed lots of straw in the nest it gets pushed against the sides and they can crawl out.

If it works for you don't change it up. (minor tweaks don't count) Just try to keep the style consistent.

i have the traditional ones, and I have the sterile stackable bins, which i what I use the most, because I like to bring my nestboxes in. the one fatal flaw is they are lightweight, but since I bring them in, this is not usually problem, and I find that with a litter of 10, the nest does not tip as easily after 3-5 days.

Like most anything else, I really don't believe there's one "right" way to do it. My advice- give your plan a try and see how it goes. Don't over-think it. After a litter or two, you will know what needs tweaking and what needs outright change.

*fingers crossed for healthy litters*

skysthelimit":3kd3uct1 said:
i have the traditional ones, and I have the sterile stackable bins, which i what I use the most, because I like to bring my nestboxes in. the one fatal flaw is they are lightweight, but since I bring them in, this is not usually problem, and I find that with a litter of 10, the nest does not tip as easily after 3-5 days.
I had this problem one time with another litter, and the mother kept actually wanting to reposition the entire nest, and accidentally flipped it at one point. The lightweight does suck, I think I'm going to add a bolt/wing nut combo to hold it in place if I continue to use them.

Latest posts

Back