Nest Box Materials

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Basenji43

Reaction score
What nest box materials do people find work the best? Hopefully (fingers crossed) our two Flemish Giant does are due Halloween!!! The two litters will have been sired by our Champagne buck. We made some really nice nest boxes I just don't know what to put in them for nesting materials. Our rabbits are kept inside so temperature isn't an issue. I have read conflicting things about wood shavings (like you would purchase at a pet store for a hamster). Some people swear by it and others claim it will clog the baby kits' nose and mouth and cause suffocation. Some people say to use straw and not hay because hay is too coarse and pokey but straw looks coarse and pokey to me. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Most of us on here use hay in nest boxes. You can also use straw, shredded newspaper, pine (not cedar) shavings, etc. Other things you can add are cloth strips, dryer lint, probably even cattail fuzz (they used to make diapers out of the stuff!). :)

I use hay.

I use shavings, not sawdust which will cause problems,and straw, which blends well with the fur the does pulls. Lots of people use hay as well, it's a matter of personal choice. I like straw because it breaks easily into small bits that blend well. I like to put hay in as well because the kits nibble from very early on.

I used Timothy Hay and took out all the pokey stuff. Mixed it with soft Orchard Hay. Babies are now eating both and I have had no problem with my first litter.

Have to say though the Care fresh bedding I use mixed well with Luna's fur and made a very soft bedding so I used that around the kits and then the hay.

Wishing your Flemish does an easy delivery and lots of healthy popples!

Karen

My nest boxes have wire bottoms. I line this with a piece or 2 of card board. Top that with a small layer of wood shavings and add hay for the remainder.

I use shavings and hay. Hay is getting expensive and hard to find, so I've started putting shredded paper in the bottom then shavings. I'll add the hay when they've kindled, so they don't eat it or waste it.

I prefer orchard grass hay because there are no stiff stems to poke an eye. When given a choice the does also seem to prefer it.

I use old newspaper. I just put it in the cage with her while she's making her nest and let her do her thing. Next time I think I might go with straw too though.

I use pine shavings mixed with brown paper bags that I put through our paper shredder, and then give the doe hay to gather and make the nest. I prefer the Bermuda grass because the stems are very fine, but they have also used alfalfa and straw with no problems. Before I started feeding hay, I would have the kids harvest the dry wild grass that grows here for them. I also add a handful of pine pellets to the end where the nest will be, but most of my does dig in their nests when building, so they get scattered throughout. I will often put a handful in the nest hollow after the kits are born to absorb urine.

I have seen it mentioned elsewhere not to use the pine pellets in nests, but don't recall the exact reason given. I have never had any issues using them though, and they do keep the nest dry.

ZRabbits":1n427cna said:
Have to say though the Care fresh bedding I use mixed well with Luna's fur and made a very soft bedding so I used that around the kits and then the hay.

Won't they try to eat that?

Pine pellets, pine shavings, and top it with hay or straw. Never have to clean a nest box before the kits are ready to leave it because the pine pellets are so absorbent.

Latest posts

Back