Nest box hay

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JG3

Reaction score
So, our first litters are due this week. We gave our does nest boxes tonight. The only hay I can source from farmers in my area is alfalfa and so that’s what I put in their boxes. Although, we are switching to natural feeding this summer, they are still on an alfalfa pellet currently. I know too much alfalfa is bad, so how concerned should I be that they are eating the nest box hay right now. Will they get too much? Now they are 5 and 5.5 months old, so maybe it’s fine they’re still under 6 months? Or because they’re pregnant and will need the protein and calcium anyway? I don’t want them getting bladder sludge or anything.

You bred your Does at 4 months/4 and a half months?
Correct. They were senior weight, ready, receptive and everything I’ve read and rabbitries I’ve talked to all say 4-6 months, with studies showing if they are ready on the earlier end, for some reason you get larger litters over their breeding life, which is ideal when the purpose is meat rabbits.

Why is too much alfalfa bad? Most pellets are alfalfa. Is it because they get too fat?
Too much calcium, which can cause bladder sludge and hurt their kidneys. I wouldn’t be worried if we were already on natural feeding, but the alfalfa pellet plus the hay is a lot. Just the pellet is fine, theyre made with ideal ratios.

Latest posts

Back