Nest box early?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel506

Reaction score
I have a doe due on 12/22, so I was planning on putting in her nest box on 12/20. Tonight (12/18) when I filled her hay rack I noticed she pulled out a large mouth-full of hay and started exploring the corners of her cage, as if she was looking to make a nest. I've always been told not to put the box in too early since they may make a litter box out of it, but now I'm wondering if I should go ahead and let her have her box. So, has anyone else had a doe that needed her box a little early?

Mine kindled today but built her nest 10 days ago. After that she paid it no attention until this morning. Ran in about 9:00 AM and had 5 then didn't go back in until ~ 7:00 PM to feed. You're probably OK. GOOD LUCK!

Hmm...worst case scenario if you put a box in:
She forgets it's for her nest and potties in it. Then you would have to change the bedding, maybe swap it for a fresh box.

Worst case scenario without the box:
She decides the wire is the place to have them...or she was somehow bred early and popples on the wire with no box...

After weighing my options, I always give them the box.

:yeahthat: better to give the box early....don't like the option of her finding a place on her own...from what I have read 31 days is an average could be 28 could be 34. :?

Box early would be my choice. My Mini Lop created her nest in her box with great care at 10 days and then never touched it until she kindled. Some plan early I think. :)

Our does (first AND second generation!) all need their nest boxes 7-10 days prior to kindling. We always know it's time because they start to dig their pellets out and drop them down in the worm bed until we give them their nest boxes and a nice big pile of hay to play with! It's very strange, but has happened with all 9 litters so far, and we have three litters due next week and they all are digging out pellets because DH hadn't given them their boxes yet! Aaargh!

Once the nests are built we haven't had any of the does lay in their nest boxes or soil them. They pretty much ignore them once they are all set.

I have does due the same day as you on 12/22 and two of them "requested" nest boxes a few days ago also with a haystache. Both are building beautiful nests and haven't used it for a litterbox, though it can happen. I do think there can be a genetic link with mothering behavior- that is so neat about the 7-10 days before kindling thing with Comet's does. Especially with kits later on, if a doe is using a nestbox inappropriately, I will fall back on the 3 strike rule so I don't inadvertently continue that trait on in future generations. Best of luck with your litters!

Latest posts

Back