Needle Felting

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easy Ears

Reaction score
I just discovered needle felting in a newspaper article! :p
I had no IDEA such a think existed! :oops: It's AMAZING! And I want to try it! :D Haha. Anyway, I looked up all I could about it here but there isn't much....I looked everywhere I could think of for cheap wool....Amazon, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. Not sure where to get it from. I did read on here that rabbit fur could be used....just any old rabbit fur? I'd consider getting an Angora for this purpose.....but if I can use my HL or DT rabbit fur, that would be more convenient! Any tips on where to buy supplies? I was thinking on getting this kit: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Set-Needle-Fe ... xyeZNTUhse

Maybe this one for wool?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/36-colors-Merin ... Sw3xJVVfZr

I would like to find somewhere where I can buy just white in LARGE quantities. I plan on making lots of these things as gifts and possibly to sell! :) Anyone know somewhere to get wool for this in large quantities? Or have any tips? I'd really appreciate ANY advice! :all-ears: Thanks!

You can even get some fancy needle pens and roving ordered through amazon or even ordered and delivered to your nearest walmart. I have read that angora is not very good for needle felting though as it is too slippery but works well for wet felting, or can be mixed with other wools for this use. I have yet to try needle felting with angora as I lack angora rabbits, I was too dissuaded by people saying it doesn't work well with just rabbit fur.

Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_ ... afts%2C943

Walmart: http://www.walmart.com/search/?query=needle%20felt

Here's also some info on wool choices: http://www.tericanepa.com/fiber.html

Welcome to the dark side!
I am a working felter~ you can find my gallery at http://flickr.com/beneaththerowantree

I am actually adding felting tools and fibers to my shop in the new year... so keep me in mind... but, before then, check out www.livingfelt.com
Get yourself some foam, some needles (Star ones are nice heavy / quick work needles~ try a 38 for most work and a 40 or 42 for finishing).
You can just hold a single needle (honestly that is how I do most of mine, that and a needle holder for multiples (I prefer 3 needles in my holder)).
Then pick some Cross-Felting Batt ~ it felts up quickly and they have tons of colours~ pick a mixed pack with smaller amounts of each, a little goes a long way!
And grab some Core Wool ~ you use this to make your shapes and then the more $$ coloured stuff to cover the outside.
Gosh! I wish I was open for business in this area, I'd so hook you up LOL ~ I have the most gorgeous Canadian wool... I am a long time felter (nearly a decade) and it is honestly the best I have found for batt.

As a beginner, you want 'batt' 'batting' 'cross batt' or 'carded' fiber~ the fibers are crisscrossed, not combed out all in one direction, so it felts much more easily and densely.
Roving or sliver or combed top are all brushed one way and a bit more tricky.

And then start stabbing. You'll get the feel of how your wool works up.
And you'll stab the POOP out of yourself many, many times.

Angora is pretty slippery and the staple length makes it less workable for newbies.
Same with merino~ I love to finish my 3D work with merino, but it is a lot of work.
A good corriedale is your friend.

:)

"O rowan mine, I saw you shine upon a summer's day,
Upon your head how golden-red the crown you bore aloft!"

--Treebeard, "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" movie.

:lol:

Seriously, though, that is some gorgeous stuff you have there! I love those little crowns! They're so cute!!! :p

TF3":1j15wogt said:
Angora is pretty slippery and the staple length makes it less workable for newbies.

Well, baby angora is just right! (says Goldilocks). Baby angora is fine and cottony and felts beautifully. By the way TF3 WOW on your gallery!!!

Galadriel":1djxx4yj said:
"O rowan mine, I saw you shine upon a summer's day,
Upon your head how golden-red the crown you bore aloft!"

--Treebeard, "The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers" movie.

Sweet :)
My daughter is Rowan.

The shop name actually came from an old poem:
Canadian poem entitled 'The Rowan Tree' by Isabella Crawford Valancy (1850-1887):

O WHEN the bonnie moon is fair,
An' clear the loch like siller spread,
An' heather-sweet the gloamin' air,
An' like a star thy flaxen head,
Why dost thou, Mary, make thy maen,
An' lean thy white brow on thy knee?
Why drop thy tears on heath an' stane,
Beneath the wavin' rowan tree?

There was a time when up the brae
Thy foot, licht as the roebuck's, sprang;
Thy bonnie een ne'er turned away,
Thy voice a gleesome welcome rang.
Thy lily hands why dost thou wring,
Nor turn to smile an' gaze on me,
When straight as lavrock's skyward wing
I seek the wavin' rowan tree? <br /><br /> __________ Wed Dec 02, 2015 3:29 pm __________ <br /><br /> Thanks for your kind words :)
I think my work as a dyer heavily influences my felting because I love colour!

Good to know about baby angora... I keep telling myself I don't need any fiber bunnies!!

TF3":1sq7indb said:
I am a working felter~ you can find my gallery at http://flickr.com/beneaththerowantree

I am actually adding felting tools and fibers to my shop in the new year... so keep me in mind... but, before then, check out http://www.livingfelt.com
Get yourself some foam, some needles (Star ones are nice heavy / quick work needles~ try a 38 for most work and a 40 or 42 for finishing).
You can just hold a single needle (honestly that is how I do most of mine, that and a needle holder for multiples (I prefer 3 needles in my holder)).
Then pick some Cross-Felting Batt ~ it felts up quickly and they have tons of colours~ pick a mixed pack with smaller amounts of each, a little goes a long way!
And grab some Core Wool ~ you use this to make your shapes and then the more $$ coloured stuff to cover the outside.
Gosh! I wish I was open for business in this area, I'd so hook you up LOL ~ I have the most gorgeous Canadian wool... I am a long time felter (nearly a decade) and it is honestly the best I have found for batt.

As a beginner, you want 'batt' 'batting' 'cross batt' or 'carded' fiber~ the fibers are crisscrossed, not combed out all in one direction, so it felts much more easily and densely.

And then start stabbing. You'll get the feel of how your wool works up.
And you'll stab the POOP out of yourself many, many times.

Same with merino~ I love to finish my 3D work with merino, but it is a lot of work.
A good corriedale is your friend.

I plan to check out your site :) Don't they make hats from felted rabbit fur? Like cowboy hats and such?

I know that they made hats out of beaver fur... which is what drove the fur trade and the development of the Rex breed.
Needlefelting developed out of the old felting machines that make wool felt sheeting... the same needles just taken in hand :)

That song is beautiful, TF3! I love songs like that, but I was positive it was Scottish when I read it! It's really Canadian?! Wow! :p

And I definitely love your felt work. The pansy, the mermaid, the fairy, the girl at the beach, so adorable!

Wow. All I can say is wow. This opens up a whoooooooooooooole new possibility for me!
Oh and btw, when I was thinking needle felting I was thinking this:
4027918404_afb4886c50_b.jpg

Your stuff is more complex and amazing than I could have ever imagined possible in felting! :p :p :p
I'm spellbound! :twilightzone:

TF3":4uhry42r said:

:p Amazing!

I am actually adding felting tools and fibers to my shop in the new year... so keep me in mind... but, before then, check out http://www.livingfelt.com

I can wait! I'd LOVE to support you! :D

:stars: This is my brain.....swirling. :oops: Like I said, just learned about it, not up to the terms! :oops: :oops: :oops:
Star needles? 38? 40? 42? Whaaa? :lol: You need to write me a book, lol!!!
You need to just throw me together a kit! :lol:

Where do you get all this stuff!? :p

:love: Sigh...

:stars: Again, a little confused...any good info sites you know of?

What about short haired breeds??? :)

if you are on Facebook there is an awesome group "fiber artists and yarn spinners" and there are two good needle felting groups I am in. some amazing stuff. I dabble in felting but my stuff isn't like TF3s is.

A second for FB groups, Raw fiber for Sale, or Raw Fleece for Sale. Raw will be way cheaper than anything, but you can get better prices on Etsy by the ounce.

Thanks guys! I could use some pricing advice though... I have no idea how much a few ounces would last. I've heard that a little wool goes a long way with felting...is $2.50 an ounce a good price? I will definitely check out those facebook pages!

skysthelimit":3ni2yy0q said:
A second for FB groups, Raw fiber for Sale, or Raw Fleece for Sale. Raw will be way cheaper than anything, but you can get better prices on Etsy by the ounce.

Do you have a favorite buyer? Or favorite wool you use?

I don't. I do a lot of trades, and rarely buy wool. When I do, it's from people as local as possible.

I also spin a lot of down breeds for socks and mittens, stuff that you don't want to felt, resistant fibers like Cheviot and Suffolk.

I've needled felted a few Angoras (like the angora tutorial by sarafina). I used Suffolk as my core, which is ok as needle felting but not good for wet felting. Grips the Angora well. I have had very little success wet felting Angora, although it felts fine in the nest box and on the bunny.

Attachments

• 10560504_1120686931290195_24727883004954149_o.jpg
    10560504_1120686931290195_24727883004954149_o.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 387
alforddm":ns35mxkg said:
Y'all are horrid enablers. Now I want sheep....

*chortles darkly while rubbing evil paws together* We are sooooo good at that! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Latest posts

Back