Need to know how much blue cohosh??

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhWRabbitry

Reaction score
We have a doe due in about a week. Her last litter she delivered late and the kits were all too large and none made it. I'm thankful the doe was okay. We thought we'd try one more time and see how it went in case that was a fluke. Anyways, I'd like to help keep her from going late again if I can do that in a good, helpful way. I've seen blue cohosh mentioned on here as a dried herb to use. I only see it close to me though as a liquid extract - even sold at walmart. Can this be used? If so how much? Add to food or what?
Greatly appreciate the help. I just want to plan ahead.

Hmmm... I'm not getting responses on this question and didn't last time I asked either. Is this just not something people have experience with or something that is frowned on/not advised? If not a good idea I'd welcome other suggestions. Thanks.

I've never heard of blue cohosh. Is it maybe more commonly known by another name?

WhWRabbitry":3gn6e6g6 said:
We have a doe due in about a week. Her last litter she delivered late and the kits were all too large and none made it. I'm thankful the doe was okay. We thought we'd try one more time and see how it went in case that was a fluke. Anyways, I'd like to help keep her from going late again if I can do that in a good, helpful way. I've seen blue cohosh mentioned on here as a dried herb to use. I only see it close to me though as a liquid extract - even sold at walmart. Can this be used? If so how much? Add to food or what?
Greatly appreciate the help. I just want to plan ahead.

Hmmm... I'm not getting responses on this question and didn't last time I asked either. Is this just not something people have experience with or something that is frowned on/not advised? If not a good idea I'd welcome other suggestions. Thanks.

Blue cohosh isn't something I would use without knowing more about it. I know for people it can be dangerous in certain quantities...I would try lavender buds, raspberry leaves, sage and calcium. The lavender and sage will help her pass the kits, the raspberry leaves and calcium will tone her uterine muscles and make them contract more efficiently.

I agree. Blue Cohosh can be pretty toxic even in small doses. I would stick to the herbs OneAcre Farm suggested.

Anyways, I'd like to help keep her from going late again if I can do that in a good, helpful way.

OneAcreFarm":2bxlvfuy said:
Blue cohosh isn't something I would use without knowing more about it. I know for people it can be dangerous in certain quantities...I would try lavender buds, raspberry leaves, sage and calcium. The lavender and sage will help her pass the kits, the raspberry leaves and calcium will tone her uterine muscles and make them contract more efficiently.

Phacelia":2bxlvfuy said:
I agree. Blue Cohosh can be pretty toxic even in small doses. I would stick to the herbs OneAcre Farm suggested.

:yeahthat:

from web MD:
Blue cohosh is LIKELY UNSAFE for adults when taken by mouth. It can cause diarrhea, stomach cramps, chest pain, increased blood pressure, increased blood sugar, and other severe side effects.

I don't follow everything that web MD says, but, diahrea is a common overlooked and not really scary side effect for humans, and potentially life threatening for rabbits.

http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplemen ... e%20cohosh

One acre farm has some great suggestions. :)

Thank you all very much!! I actually had never heard of blue cohosh until I'd read about it in an old thread on here. I will avoid it. I greatly appreciate the input. I'll go with the raspberry leaves, lavender buds, sage, & calcium.
Where can one get lavender buds? Is dried sage alright?

Thanks again!!

Latest posts

Back