Need some tips please.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2 bun-owner

Reaction score
Nest ideas? I have a doe that is due next weekend
And need nest ideas. Would a tote tipped on its
Side be ok?

What do some of you use other then hay
To put in the nest?

Also last litter my doe had (previous owners) she
Did NOT pull fur. Hopefully this time she will
Being her second time. However if she doesn't
What can I use to keep those kits warm. Mind
You I love in North Dakota, it gets hot here.
It has been in the 80's so don't want them cooked
But not frozen either. Lol would a small blanket
Or just more hay work? What do some of you do when
Your doe doesn't pull fur?

Any tip ideas would be helpful.

The tote I wouldnt think would be a good Idea because the kits can crawl out. Try a basket. Try putting wood shaving at the bottom but not to much and the big kind not the little because it can go up there noses. More hay will help, but what I do is that I keep seperate boxes of fur from each of my breeding does so when the have kits and they dont pull fur i just put that in there.

I just use an old drawer. I unscrewed the top and then put pegs in the side of the cabinet so the top can rest on the pegs, and be removable. Then I cut a small hole in one end. It cost $5 if I remember correctly. :) I think you can do the same with a tote, or basket. Make sure your bunny doesn't like to chew plastic, if you do use a tote.

I would think that, as long as it's warm enough, the nest would be OK without fur. Adding dryer lint or more hay or fur pulled from previous litters would make it warmer.

Thanks for the ideas. Wouldnt have thought of
Dryer lint. :)

I will have to try and find a box or something to
Have as a nest. I don't have hay (for bedding)
I will do some thinking on what else I could
Use. :)

I would not use dryer lint. We gave it carry in a litter earlier this year and I hand to pull pieces out of the kits nostrils and from around their teeth. I would recommend cotton balls pulled apart instead.

amandainohio24":21kawqce said:
I would not use dryer lint. We gave it carry in a litter earlier this year and I hand to pull pieces out of the kits nostrils and from around their teeth. I would recommend cotton balls pulled apart instead.

Good to know. :)
I will try the cotton if needed.<br /><br />__________ Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:38 am __________<br /><br />Would shredded paper work for
Bedding? Would it be warm enough
For the kits to be in?

When I found myself in need of an emergency nest box when suddenly all my new does were expecting instead of just 2, I used one of those plastic baskets that has handles and all the holes in the sides. Not sure what they are called. I used a plastic twine to tie it to the side of the cage through the holes. I lined the bottom with newspaper so they wouldn't be on cold plastic and to absorb any moisture. I tossed in some coarse pine shavings and then went out with scissors to cut some of our softer native grass for nesting material. None of this was ideal, but I was on a time crunch and had to make due. The doe and kits did just fine.

Come to think of it, I also used a heavier type bottled beer box for another doe (seriously, 3 unexpected litters and I was brand spanking new to rabbits). I just pokes some holes to tie it to the cage so the doe wouldn't tip it over. This was for a doe who kindled on the wire and we had to warm the babies because of the unexpected litter, which was my announcement that one of my new "does" wasn't, and had been housed with 3 of my other does. I had separated them after I got them, but too late. Doing the math, they were bred before I got them.

Anyway, some does don't need the Hilton, so makeshift nestboxes can work. You still have some time to figure something out.

coffeenutdesigns":lmx9ejwg said:
When I found myself in need of an emergency nest box when suddenly all my new does were expecting instead of just 2, I used one of those plastic baskets that has handles and all the holes in the sides. Not sure what they are called. I used a plastic twine to Tue it to the side of the cage through the holes. I lined the bottom with newspaper so they wouldn't be on cold plastic and to absorb any moisture. I tossed in some coarse pine shavings and then went out with scissors to cut some of our softer native grass for nesting material. None of this was ideal, but I was on a time crunch and had to make due. The doe and kits did just fine.

Come to think of it, I also used a heavier type bottled beer box for another doe (seriously, 3 unexpected litters and I was brand spanking new to rabbits). I just pokes some holes to tie it to the cage so the doe wouldn't tip it over.

That's me. In in a crunch as I have a doe
That's good sized and can't justify buying
A nest box when I can throw some materials
Together an make one.

I just need to find something big enough
For her but not too big. I think I will
Use shredded paper with wood shavings for
Bedding. I'm worried about the warmth of the
Kits. Hope this goes good. :)

A wooden nest box like the one in the link is probably best. (scroll down.)
http://www.thenaturetrail.com/rabbit-br ... or-babies/

Plastic and metal are sometimes used, but they tend to hold in condensation. Wood is warmer in winter and cooler in summer. A hardware cloth bottom allows for drainage and a piece of cardboard can be slipped under it in cold weather for insulation. A wooden box is heavy enough that it won't tip.

If you are using a plastic tote or anything light-weight, I urge you to put some holes in the side and anchor it to the cage wire so that it won't tip.

As for nesting materials, an inch or so of wood shavings (not cedar) gives good absorbancy. You pretty much need something like hay or straw or even sun-dried grass for the nest. Some people use shredded paper. The kits need something as a fur-substitute if momma doesn't pull enough fur. Dryer lint has already been discussed, but there are other options: teased cotton batting or cotton balls or feathers from a pillow work fine.

I use the Sani-nests from BASS equipment. The dimensions are 10" x 18" x 9" high. One end is hinged and kept closed with springs so it can be opened when the kits start leaving the nest.

IMG_7014.JPG
IMG_5459.JPG

You can make your own out of spare floor wire or even hardware cloth. I would suggest folding the top 1/2" over so there are no sharp wires that may scratch the doe, and also to make the top edge more rigid.

I line mine with plastic wallboard (as seen in commercial bathrooms), but before I had that I just lined the bottom and sometimes the sides with cardboard. Since it is warm there right now, I would only put about 2"- 3" of cardboard along the sides.

Some does will try to "dig a burrow" when nesting, so you may need to put the cardboard underneath the nest rather than in it.

I usually put an inch of pine shavings in the bottom of the nest (more in winter) and then add hay on top of that. I also sometimes add brown paper shreds that I make by putting grocery bags through our document shredder.

After the kits are born, I remove any soiled/wet bedding and then place a handful of pine pellets in the nest hollow and then cover with hay and fur before replacing the kits.

If your doe doesn't pull fur herself, you can usually easily pull some for her once the kits are born. Her fur will naturally loosen up due to kindling. My does usually pull from their sides and flanks, but some pull from their belly, so try those areas. Pulling fur from the doe may also stimulate milk production, and might also cause her to start pulling on her own.

Good luck with your litter!

MamaSheepdog":b8py71qj said:
I use the Sani-nests from BASS equipment. The dimensions are 10" x 18" x 9" high. One end is hinged and kept closed with springs so it can be opened when the kits start leaving the nest.

View attachment 1

You can make your own out of spare floor wire or even hardware cloth. I would suggest folding the top 1/2" over so there are no sharp wires that may scratch the doe, and also to make the top edge more rigid.

I line mine with plastic wallboard (as seen in commercial bathrooms), but before I had that I just lined the bottom and sometimes the sides with cardboard. Since it is warm there right now, I would only put about 2"- 3" of cardboard along the sides.

Some does will try to "dig a burrow" when nesting, so you may need to put the cardboard underneath the nest rather than in it.

I usually put an inch of pine shavings in the bottom of the nest (more in winter) and then add hay on top of that. I also sometimes add brown paper shreds that I make by putting grocery bags through our document shredder.

After the kits are born, I remove any soiled/wet bedding and then place a handful of pine pellets in the nest hollow and then cover with hay and fur before replacing the kits.

If your doe doesn't pull fur herself, you can usually easily pull some for her once the kits are born. Her fur will naturally loosen up due to kindling. My does usually pull from their sides and flanks, but some pull from their belly, so try those areas. Pulling fur from the doe may also stimulate milk production, and might also cause her to start pulling on her own.

Good luck with your litter!

Thank you! Those are all good tips?
What's the big black bucket for?
Just something for them to play in?
That's a good idea!<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:08 pm __________<br /><br />Can a person use grass hay for
The nest or should it be straw hay
As the rabbit won't eat straw hay as
The grass hay they will. Any thoughts?

I always use grass hay in my nest boxes...the babies will start nibbling on it as they grow.

I've used cardboard boxes, hay and shredded newspaper for every litter. I've not had any problems with this. I haven't dealt with a doe not pulling fur but I'd think you could manually pull the fur or use cotton balls.

Yeah one post suggested to
Pull the fur for her if she doesn't
It will stimulate her milk production
As well! I'm going to just use a tote,
With hay and shredded paper. I need
To get it in there now as today through
Mon is when she could have kits.

2 bun-owner":wonuu4qq said:

That is one of my "BunnyBuckets"! :) It gives them a place to lounge off of the wire, but still allows them to use the floor underneath. In winter they are sheltered from wind, rain, and snow, and being in an enclosed space helps them to conserve their body heat. I also think they feel secure and sheltered.

IMG_3666.JPG

It also gives the doe a place to get away from her kits when they leave the nest. At least until the kits learn how to jump into the buckets themselves...

IMG_0382.JPG

Wow i learned a lot everyday. Mamasheepdog? What is the size of that bucket you're using? Did you put it all in your cages or just for breeding does?

That is AWESOME. Unfortunately u don't have a
Set up like that so can't put big in my cage. :( that's
So cool though.<br /><br />__________ Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:04 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":23o9v02a said:
2 bun-owner":23o9v02a said:

That is one of my "BunnyBuckets"! :) It gives them a place to lounge off of the wire, but still allows them to use the floor underneath. In winter they are sheltered from wind, rain, and snow, and being in an enclosed space helps them to conserve their body heat. I also think they feel secure and sheltered.

View attachment 1

It also gives the doe a place to get away from her kits when they leave the nest. At least until the kits learn how to jump into the buckets themselves...

Now do you shelter it buns in the winter? It's
Getting that time and need ideas of shelter for
The winter. :)

Blackmoriah":2cad4vu5 said:
What is the size of that bucket you're using? Did you put it all in your cages or just for breeding does?

It is a 5 gallon plant pot- the size that trees are commonly sold in. I give them to all of the rabbits, and the large growout cages have more than one.

I also use small and large paint buckets for other size rabbits.

Jersey Wooly in small bucket:

IMG_0550.JPG

Beveren in large bucket:

IMG_6253.JPG

Here is the tutorial I made on making BunnyBuckets:

how-to-pot-up-a-rabbit-t6566.html

2 bun-owner":2cad4vu5 said:
Unfortunately u don't have a
Set up like that so can't put big in my cage.

That is a standard 18" high cage.

Latest posts

Back