Need of a color ID on my doe

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBeeAcres

Reaction score
So I've been trying to figure out my does coloring for some time. She's a TAMUK composite and didn't come with a pedigree. Unfortunately I don't remember her dam or sires colors as they weren't my rabbits. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20230507_183645451.jpg
    IMG_20230507_183645451.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230507_183700378.jpg
    IMG_20230507_183700378.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230507_183828894.jpg
    IMG_20230507_183828894.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20230507_184417364.jpg
    IMG_20230507_184417364.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Based on her face color, with patches of chocolate-based color and fawn, I would say she is a harlequin.
1684595955961.png
Harlequin genetics are found on the 'E' extension gene. Agouti rabbits (coded 'A', a dominant trait) have multiple bands of color on one hairshaft, think wild rabbit color. The 'E' gene determines how those agouti bands are extended down the hairshaft, there are five choices, in a cascade of dominance. A rather rare trait that makes the whole shaft dark is the most dominant, coded E(D). Then comes steel E(S), which moves the middle yellowish band out to the end of the hair. Normal rabbit color E comes next; followed by harlequin e(j), which instead of making bands on a single hairshaft, puts the bands in patches on the skin instead. The most recessive color is called 'non-extension',coded ee, which doesn't put any dark color on the main body hair, producing tortoiseshell without the agouti gene and orange/red/fawn/cream with the agouti gene.

Harlequin comes in four flavors, dense colored black with orange and chocolate with orange; and dilute colored blue with fawn/cream and lilac with fawn/cream. The darkest color is usually found on the shorter hairs on the face & ears. Looking at your doe's face, I can see fawn with a shade of chocolate, not black. So, that would make her either a chocolate or lilac harlequin. My guess, since the orange tint is so pale, and the color across the back is so pale, is that she might be a lilac harlequin. But, her eye color seems to be brown, not the grayish brown shade common to dilute rabbits.

If so, this would make your doe a dominant agouti based color, which would be coded with a dominant A. There's no way to tell what recessive gene she could be hiding behind the dominant agouti, so the unknown factor is just coded with a dash, A-.
She's not black-based B-, which is on the B gene, so she is recessive brown-based bb.
She has full color, so she's C-.
Dense/dilute: If she is chocolate harlequin, she would be dense color D-. If lilac harlequin, she would be dilute dd.
Extension: Harlequin is e(j)-
The white color is often dominant English spotting En-, called a 'broken'. Your rabbit appears to have white around the neck and interspersed on the back. En En spotted rabbits are called Charlies, which are mostly white with spotting only showing up sparsely on the face with eye spots, sometimes a nose spot, on the ears and a few spots down the back. Your doe seems to be pale, but have more spotting than that, so I'd guess En en. However, that collar of white around the neck is rather classic Dutch-marked pattern, which could be caused by the Dutch du gene, or the Vienna blue-eyed white gene instead. While it takes two Vienna recessives vv to make a blue-eyed white albino rabbit, one copy of the recessive gene Vv often results in a normal colored rabbit, but with some white mismarks, often a stripe on the face, white toes, or a white collar around the neck.

Last edited:
Thank you for the very detailed reply! She is VM, the pictures don't show up well but she has blue eyes. Her parents weren't brokens or Charlies I recall. Somebody also mentioned she might be lilac harlequin so this definitely helps to confirm this. Any guesses I've gotten have been all over the place otherwise.
I'm good with genetics but new to the world of rabbit genetics so this helps a ton.
Thank you again!
Based on her face color, with patches of chocolate-based color and fawn, I would say she is a harlequin.
View attachment 35861
Harlequin genetics are found on the 'E' extension gene. Agouti rabbits (coded 'A', a dominant trait) have multiple bands of color on one hairshaft, think wild rabbit color. The 'E' gene determines how those agouti bands are extended down the hairshaft, there are five choices, in a cascade of dominance. A rather rare trait that makes the whole shaft dark is the most dominant, coded E(D). Then comes steel E(S), which moves the middle yellowish band out to the end of the hair. Normal rabbit color E comes next; followed by harlequin e(j), which instead of making bands on a single hairshaft, puts the bands in patches on the skin instead. The most recessive color is called 'non-extension',coded ee, which doesn't put any dark color on the main body hair, producing tortoiseshell without the agouti gene and orange/red/fawn/cream with the agouti gene.

Harlequin comes in four flavors, dense colored black with orange and chocolate with orange; and dilute colored blue with fawn/cream and lilac with fawn/cream. The darkest color is usually found on the shorter hairs on the face & ears. Looking at your doe's face, I can see fawn with a shade of chocolate, not black. So, that would make her either a chocolate or lilac harlequin. My guess, since the orange tint is so pale, and the color across the back is so pale, is that she might be a lilac harlequin. But, her eye color seems to be brown, not the grayish brown shade common to dilute rabbits.

If so, this would make your doe a dominant agouti based color, which would be coded with a dominant A. There's no way to tell what recessive gene she could be hiding behind the dominant agouti, so the unknown factor is just coded with a dash, A-.
She's not black-based B-, which is on the B gene, so she is recessive brown-based bb.
She has full color, so she's C-.
Dense/dilute: If she is chocolate harlequin, she would be dense color D-. If lilac harlequin, she would be dilute dd.
Extension: Harlequin is e(j)-
The white color is often dominant English spotting En-, called a 'broken'. Your rabbit appears to have white around the neck and interspersed on the back. En En spotted rabbits are called Charlies, which are mostly white with spotting only showing up sparsely on the face with eye spots, sometimes a nose spot, on the ears and a few spots down the back. Your doe seems to be pale, but have more spotting than that, so I'd guess En en. However, that collar of white around the neck is rather classic Dutch-marked pattern, which could be caused by the Dutch du gene, or the Vienna blue-eyed white gene instead. While it takes two Vienna recessives vv to make a blue-eyed white albino rabbit, one copy of the recessive gene Vv often results in a normal colored rabbit, but with some white mismarks, often a stripe on the face, white toes, or a white collar around the neck.

Back