Need Input - Awkward Situation

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Habit

Reaction score
Okay, so...

Most people know that the transporter I was going to use to transport my velveteens was raided by animal control while he was out on his transport run. My rabbits did not make it onto his truck. He's home now, and had said that refunds would be processed shortly after he got home.

He's been home almost a week. Nothing has been said about refunds, by anyone.

I know he's dealing with a lot of garbage right now, and I do feel bad for him... But I also kind of really need my money back. I don't want to be tacky and confrontational about it, and I don't want to be like OH YOU'RE HOME, GIVE ME MY MONEY RIGHT MEOW!!!!!... But I would like to know what's going on about that.

I know they're not exactly flushed with cash, and that the transport trip was a money losing proposition anyway, and that there are people fundraising for their legal costs. I know that in the scheme of things, my $60 is nothing compared to what other people are owed back, and what other people have told him to forget about repaying them.

I just don't know how, or when, to even bring it up. It's very awkward for me to talk about money at all. I hate asking for money, either as a loan, or a payment, or calling in a debt. I just don't know what to do, and I would like some input.

And please, don't tell me to just suck it up and forget the debt. I do not have the finances available to do that.

I would ask him if he is back home. This might remind him that he owes you some $$.

He owes a lot of people a lot of money.

And he is home, know that for sure, as he's posted that he's home, and various updates on dealing with the situation at hand.

Then I would think to myself. Do I need the money at this very moment? If the answer is yes I would at least remind him of your existence. If the answer is no then wait a couple weeks for things to settle down.

I would just do a short reminder in a discreet (at this point manner). Doesn't hurt just to email, you could mention that you are glad he made it home safely and thank him for his promise to refund transport dollars. Remind him what his fee was perhaps now, or do that in say five days or so.

Got my fingers crossed for you BH! I hope he can and does give you your money back soon.

ladysown":1y1iy88b said:
I would just do a short reminder in a discreet (at this point manner). Doesn't hurt just to email, you could mention that you are glad he made it home safely and thank him for his promise to refund transport dollars. Remind him what his fee was perhaps now, or do that in say five days or so.

:yeahthat:

I like Ladysown's advice. Putting your request as a thank-you for the promise of refunding the money is brilliant. :)

If it were me and I truly NEEDED the money, I would send an email (not post in public) something along these lined:

Dear soandso,

I know you have a lot going in right now and I am praying for you and your family during this difficult time (if you are a praying person). I hate to even mention it, but I myself am also having difficult times financially and I am wondering about my refund. I know it is only $60 and if I didn't truly need it back I would gladly have donated it back to you, but at this point in time I just really need it. Do you happen to have an idea of when you will be able to start dealing with refunds? Again, I am so sorry to have to ask during an obviously difficult time. Thank you so much for trying to handle my transport. You are appreciated and I'm sorry it caused you so much disruption and heartache. Thank you for trying.

Very sincerely,
Me

***I see that Coffeenut beat me to it, but here is my proposed letter:

Dear X,

I am happy to hear you made it home safely, and hope you can resolve your problems with Animal Control soon. You are in the thoughts and prayers of myself and so many others in the rabbit community.

Thank you for your promise to refund the transport fees for those of us that you were unable to provide transport for.

I would love to be able to donate my fee to help with your legal fees as others have done, but unfortunately I am not in a financial position to do so. It took months of planning and saving for me to be able to purchase my rabbits and cover their transport, and coming up with the additional transport fee was not easy for me.

Do you have an idea of when I can expect my refund so I can plan accordingly to meet my current obligations?

I know that you are probably quite overwhelmed right now, so thank you in advance for taking the time to resolve this. I hope that we can do business again in the future.

Sincerely,

Your name

Bad Habit Rabbits

I have been talking with someone about transporting rabbits from convention for me. This post is concerning. Why was he raided? Do you have any links to information on this?
Thanks!

Not sure who exactly made the call, but someone called the police and said that his house was abandoned with his underage sons and animals left behind. The animals were left behind, sons were with adult daughter, and animals were being cared for 2x daily. There was some other issues as well - hydro was cut off for whatever reason. It is relatively doubtful that the call was made by the neighbours, as one neighbour provided an extension cord to run the fans, as well as a hose to be able to water the animals. The thoughts now were that either an animal rights group got wind of the transport and used that to their advantage, or that the ex husband of his adult daughter made the call, just to make things difficult.

I will email him - I wasn't sure if I should simply bump the topic related to refunds asking if there was any time frame at the moment, or if I should message or email him regarding it. I will probably wait a few more days, in hopes that someone else brings it up so I don't have to. The reason I was thinking of posting on the group is because I know there are others who need a refund as well, and are probably as interested in updates as I am.

Baylandria":2lo1oxps said:
I have been talking with someone about transporting rabbits from convention for me. This post is concerning. Why was he raided? Do you have any links to information on this?
Thanks!

There was a thread about it when it happened a couple of weeks ago (sorry; can't find it ATM). It seemed pretty clear that there was absolutely NO negligence or anything else with respect to either animals or children and that the call to Animal Control was either personally or politically motivated, as stated above. If you have transport plans, simply confirm them; that would be my recommendation. It may be that "your" transport person is a different one and is still available. :)

This particular transport person may be involved with "alligators up to his earballs" for a while yet, but they were NOT of his doing or of anyone else's who had responsibility for animals or children, as far as anyone on this board or with knowledge of his situation was able to tell.

Back