Need Help with Sick Jersey Milk Cow that has newbor calf????

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMR

Reaction score
About 2 weeks started having issues. The jersey my dad bought back in September which was down hill at the time any way because the guy that had her thought he could starve her into drying up even though she was already pregnant and not have to milk her, he instead caused massive weight loss and no loss of milk production. I did get her to stop milk about 2 months ago with use of a bit of peppermint for a just a couple days then in her food stuffs. She's been on a very heavily monitored diet so she'd get enough to gain a little bit of weight but not enough to make the calf huge hopefully. 2 weeks ago she went on an eating strike and refused to eat hay, started letting her out into the yard to munch on grass on short periods and she did OK with no poo troubles.

On the 1st she had a touch of scours, have had calfs with it before that we bottle raised so knew what it was right away and how serious it was. So I made it a point to put her in her lot and make sure she had lots of hay/water/little less grain since it was going right thru her and treated her with some meds and prioboitics on what the vet recommended for scours 2x(sulmet and priobios). No improvement at all. Continued to have scours and she had 1 large bull calf on the 3rd. Body condition has remained the same, but she's still got scours. She's not dehydrated yet, but I've been making sure she's drinking heavily and given probiotics along with. Vet suggested using corrid/kaolin/poo geller with electrolytes in it in addition to the probiotics I was giving seeing how she is and with her nursing too, saw a little improvement as its not like water any more but not much better and pretty well attributed that to the geller as that's what its suppose to do. He's at a loss as to what else to do for her rather then repeat treatment after this 5 day course is up and the break time is given, even though he's not sure that'll do any good considering she showed very little improvement. Does any one have any ideas?

She's eating grass hay (unlimited), very little greens (what she scratches from between the fence wire), and 2x a day 2litter pop bottle n half of dairy mix with beet shreds and sunflowers (per advice of vet to try to boost fat/fiber intake with out addition of lots of sugars, etc which might make it worse). She gets unlimited water. Vet said to wait until the scours was under control to raise her grain as it wouldn't do any good and would in all likely hood make it worse if we did increase even with her current condition. There is no chance of some thing being in the hay or grain; she's the only thing sick.

I can't suggest much to help but you might ask your question on a cattle forum such as the one at HomesteadingToday.

http://www.homesteadingtoday.com/forumd ... ne=30&f=28

I will add that some plants will help stop diarrhea: shepherd's purse, plantain, and the leaves of raspberry, strawberry or blackberry.

Interesting to hear about the mint working so effectively to dry her milk!

Mmm hmm that's what I've done with all of our other milk cows, pep for a few days n phish no more milk. Just NEVER give it with in 2-3 weeks as it can block milk from coming in in cows said our vet. I kinda figured that any way...but I guess my common sense isn't some one else's too lol.

Thanks, I'll repost there and see if any one can help...we're all lost on whats going on.

can you give the cow some ground cinnamon say a Tablespoon, twice a day, and perhaps include a cranberry capsule a couple times a day to help eliminate bacteria/ keep bacteria from grabbing onto the intestinal walls...

Slippery elm is also good for gut issues-- helps correct both runs and constipation

Is the calf nursing? If so-- you may want to consider getting him off her, and drying her up again to protect her energy reserves. He's had his colostrum--

Thanks for the info and idea, will keep it for future reference. Things went very bad. She stopped having scours after a change in diet/grains, starting eating much more seemed to start to put on weight and was acting good for a while. Turns out she didn't do very well with the corn based feed and needed a few other things to get her back to 'normal'. Then she went down unexpectedly and couldn't get up, got her in a livestock swing but notable signs of bad infection set in. Calf was pulled immediately, but she had more complications then even the vet thought was possible after we'd talked and he offered his suggestions on what could be done. It was decided in the end to put her down instead of letting her try to fight on even though she was wanting to stand on her own she just seemed to be getting worse over all. With out going into a great deal of detail, we found out there was no way (most likely) to save her. She'd been pregnant with twins, the first baby died early on in the pregnancy and had cocooned. Most likely there had been a very very slow leak in it (maybe from the birthing, maybe not it was not able to be determined but it had been for a good while considering the severity) that just allowed the toxins to get out into her system and take over slowly. Its thought that the initial signs could've been masked from where she started getting good food, regaining weight, and her body started to fight the toxins/infection and get better and then the delivery was just too much for her body to take or the medications and other things we gave her when she started getting sick which would've been the point when the leak started and most likely why the one calf wasn't dead on delivery or had been affected by the mounting toxins/infection in her system. There was nothing we could've done more and nothing we did made her have those issues and we did the right thing, but its still very hard to take.

We are hoping the little one left makes it, so far he is doing well with bottle feeding but its never guaranteed.

Oh, SMR, what a sad tale for such a gentle breed! Wishing you better luck with the calf.

How sad! If I ever had a milk cow, I would want a Jersey. I love their smaller size and doe-eyed appearance, and I hear they are very sweet and their milk has a high butterfat content.

Good luck with the little orphan.

Yeah....they are the best if you get a good one and will make ya not want another breed :)

Thanks for the good wishes!

Back