Need help regarding a head tilt bun losing weight

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CochinBrahmaLover

Reaction score
So my house bun got head tilt a few months back. He got pneumonia, which traveled to his ears causing head tilt. It's permanent. He's not contagious.

He lost a lot of weight after the pneumonia, and then the head tilt, so he was only recently gaining weight. He seemed to level out to a thinner than I'd like but not terribly thin. I figured he just had a low appetite. Poops seemed fine.

Well, recently I moved him to my bedroom. It is darker here, but just due to winter being dark. He gets as much light now as my outdoor rabbits. And he has lost a lot of weight. I do not have a scale (coming the 8th) to weigh him, but he's definitely thinner. He's only been in my room for like 4 days. His poops are also softer, and his appetite & drinking seems to have lowered a ton.

Do you think he's depressed from moving to a darker area, with less activity? He didn't get much more attention where he was before, but he did get to be "apart" of more things. Or do you think he's ill? He's the only indoor rabbit, none of my outdoor rabbits are ill. He's not neutered but cannot breed a doe, do you think giving him a friend would perk him up (if he's not ill)?

I have seen success with a combination of panacur, and ponazuril , the treatment was for 7 days, -- panacur was discontinued after day 4, - a probiotic like "benebac" was used along with this [ as a precaution to help digestion in compromised rabbits]

We ended up force-feeding our EC wry neck rabbit, because he quickly went nearly skin and bones on us.

He is now (a year and a half later) healthy as a horse and spoiled as all getout.

We treated him with a combination of fenbendazole and ivermectin.

Back