Need help putting weight on momma bunny

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countrymomma1991

Reaction score
I got a new rabbit from a not so responisible rabbit owner. He kept the male and female together all the time. The poor rabbit kept having litters and getting pregnant before she even weaned her kits. So she is nothing but skin and bones. I just want to know what will put weight on her besides just pellets and hay. Thanks in advanced.

Dark green leafy greens are very high in nutrients. Kale, collard greens, beet greens and turnip greens would be great. Introduce slowly, no more than a cup per day to start off and gradually add more as she adjusts her gut flora. Keep hay in the rotation as new foods are introduced to help the belly too.

Joe

you can also feed her some BOSS ( black oiled sunflower seeds ) these will also help put the weight on fast.

BOSS is good. So are pumpkin seeds... very nutritious and fairly high in calories and healthy fats. I sometimes mix BOSS, pumpkin seeds, wheat and kitchen oatmeal together and add just a touch of blackstrap molasses mixed with a bit of hot water. I drizzle the molasses over the grain and mix it in well. You do not want the mix to be damp and may need to dry it off with more oatmeal.

Typical recipe might be:
1 cup BOSS
1/2 cup pumpkin seeds
4 cups whole wheat
4 cups oatmeal
1 teaspoon blackstrap molasses mixed into 2 tablespoons hot water

You can find the greens at a good supermarket or vegetable stand.

BOSS is just the sunflower seeds you feed to the wild birds. Try a feed store, bulk food store or even a supermarket.

Pumpkin seeds are available at a health food store, bulk food store and sometimes at supermarkets or Wal-Mart. The shelled ones are called pepitas.
Try to get raw seeds instead of roasted but they can be fed in the shell or out.

I get blackstrap molasses at a bulk food store, but a health food store should have it too. Don't use "fancy" or "dessert" molasses as it has too much sugar and fewer nutrients.

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=82
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?dbid ... =foodspice
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam ... ce&dbid=57

I get boss at my local hardware store, they sell it for bird feed.
if you have a wal mart close by, check the pet dept.the one here selld it in 10 pound bags.
it is with the bird seed.

That poor rabbit! Glad she's got a better home now!!

Thank you everyone. So far I have gotten alittle more weight on her. She still has a long way to go! And thank you guys. Im trying my best to make them more comfortable here then where they came from. All my rabbits have hay racks :)<br /><br />__________ Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:55 am __________<br /><br />Thank you everyone. So far I have gotten alittle more weight on her. She still has a long way to go! And thank you guys. Im trying my best to make them more comfortable here then where they came from. All my rabbits have hay racks :)

I have found Calf Manna to be excellent. It is higher in protein so helps build muscle and the rabbits gain weight. When I had a rabbit that decided he was going to go off feed he dropped a significant amount of weight, and giving him Calf Manna and increasing his feed allotment slowly but surely did the trick for him. Hope that helps!

Back