Need help diagnosing sick kit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoosterMania

Reaction score
I have a three week old kit that is not moving around much. The only other symptom I've noticed is that there is thick urine matted at its private parts. Any ideas on what this might be? I thought maybe cocci, but from what I have been reading I'm not sure now. Thank you!

Just noticed this kits fur looks "rougher" than the others.

I didn't realize Bunnikin had already posted about it. It's the same one. It survived the night, but looked no better. We're gonna keep giving it water and see how it goes. We've been bringing the nest box in every morning and taking it back in the evening as it has been in the high 90's all this week. We're bringing hay in for them to nibble. Should we bring in some pellets too? We plan on weaning them next week at 28 days. <br /><br /> -- Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 pm -- <br /><br /> Just culled the sick kit. Not fun, but necessary if we are going to be rabbit breeders. So only 6 of 9 made it to the three week mark. Gonna wean next week and then put on pasture the following week. And pray we don't lose any more. :(

I am so very sorry you had to cull the kit. :(

Some have trouble weaning at 4 weeks. Others don't have any trouble. But the chances of weaning enteropathy seem to go down at 5 or 6 weeks.

Miss M, I just looked at my record keeping spreadsheet and I'll rebreed Fawn when the kits are four weeks but won't wean them til five weeks. Thanks for straightening me out on that! :)

:)

There are quite a few members who wean at 4 weeks, so it isn't that there's anything wrong with it. I just figured that with the troubles this litter has had, and the fact that some kits don't take weaning at 4 weeks well, that perhaps waiting a bit longer might give these kits the best shot possible.

RoosterMania":3di0b0ii said:
-- Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:16 pm --

Just culled the sick kit. Not fun, but necessary if we are going to be rabbit breeders. So only 6 of 9 made it to the three week mark. Gonna wean next week and then put on pasture the following week. And pray we don't lose any more. :(

What are you feeding them at weaning? It sounds as though you plan to feed them commercial feed and then switch them to pasture a week later. This would mean two sudden changes in diet, which could be a problem.

MaggieJ - I still plan on feeding pellets once on pasture. My hope is that they won't need as much pellets since they will have grass and weeds available. I'm giving them fresh cuttings now to get them used to the naturals stuff. One thing I've asked that hasn't been answered yet is, since I'm bringing the kits in during the day because of heat, should I bring in some pellets for them as well as the hay and water I'm already providing?

Miss M - a lot of the literature I've been reading about commercial rabbit productions recommends weaning at 4 weeks, but seeing hour hard this is when you only start with a few, I agree that 5 would probably be better.

Glad to hear you are getting them used to a variety of foods. It is always best with rabbits to feed them the adult diet you plan to give them right from the beginning. So, if they are getting pellets when they are with momma, I would also give them pellets during the day.

RoosterMania":thty36ao said:
Miss M - a lot of the literature I've been reading about commercial rabbit productions recommends weaning at 4 weeks, but seeing hour hard this is when you only start with a few, I agree that 5 would probably be better.

What's right is what works for you and your rabbits. :)

Latest posts

Back