Need Feedback about "Pie"- My Broken Blue Tort Buck

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pickles

Reaction score
Just as my heading states I was hoping for some comments & feedback about Pie. I, of course, think he is an outstandng example of a Broken Blue Tort Buck , but I do look at him through the eyes of love so my ability to be objective might be somewhat impaired.
I took pics today of him side view, top view and a close-up of his head (which is just huge now). Presently, he is 8 months and a hearty boy at 10 lbs- I am so pleased at how he has matured. I do apologize for his somewhat "ruffled" fur in his side view show pose pic (I should have smoothed him out)- Pie tends to get very relaxed when I pose him and often falls fast asleep (as you can see in his close-up pic)... I had to keep shaking him a little to get a show pose picture with his eyes open and I messed up his coat a bit (LOL).

Here he is Side view. Apologize in advance if his pose is not perfect... Im new at this.
PieSide.jpg

Here he is top view. I think he looks a bit thick in this photo, but again he is a big healthy boy.
Pietop.jpg

And lastly, here is his close-up so you can see his beautiful head. Sorry about his eyes being closed- he was in dreamland by the time this pic was taken. My sweetboy- I just love him! :)
PieFront.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:48 pm __________<br /><br />I just noticed in pic #2 (top view pic) that Pie tends to look a little short in the muzzle. I assure you he is not (his head is wide but not short)... I think its just the angle of the photo that lends that impression.

Pie is maturing so nicely and I think you did very well for your first try posing, too! In the future it would be especially helpful for critiques if you take the picture angled so it is looking at him from the side more directly for his topline and depth. I use the edge of the rug or towel that I am posing on as a guide for pictures if that helps you. You did get all four feet on the floor great except if you can get his back toes to line up with his stifle (so his back feet should be a bit further back) then that would be ideal. Overall very good job though!

As far as Pie himself, his head came along beautifully, though I would like to see a little more width in the lower part of his muzzle. I know his ears have good length and texture already, but it would be icing on the.. pie (ha) if they were more open towards the base and had additional width. He could also use a bit more flesh in the lower HQ and a bit more depth to smooth out that topline. That line could use better bone overall IMHO- if you end up looking for a doe, I would suggest one with solid bone and good flesh/weight even if ears aren't perfect as one of the big priorities to compliment him. Although Elops are known for their ears, they are all about balance and I keep that in mind with my big guys, too. :)

He really looks great- you have done a wonderful job with him! :)

Lauren

Thanks so much for the insight, Lauren! I knew you would give a very knowledgeable opinion. I must say, It is very easy to pose Pie. I can pretty much do whatever I want to him once he is on the table and he doesnt put up any type of fight. Like I said earlier, he actually falls asleep and will lay his chin flat on the table surface. I wasnt atall sure where to pose his front paws or back legs though, so I was just guessing.
His ears are very long and possibly slightly off balance with the rest of his body because of it. They are quite wide at the tip though and because of the way I photographed him it is very hard to tell. Actually I could have done much better posing his ears off his head, I turned them in a bit at the base to pull them away from his face when photographing, which I suppose I should not have done.
I am curius what you mean by "topline" and "bone"? I see it on the forum threads alot but I am not so familiar with all the show lingo... does that refer to where his shoulders smooth to his rump? or the top of his head?

I tried to google a link to illustrate a highlighted topline for you, but if you draw an imaginary red line on Pie behind is head and follow the spine then that is essentially what I am talking about. In our breed you want it to look like the outline of the edge of a mandolin or half a pear cut lengthwise, so the part over the hindquarter would be deep/full and the part over the shoulders would be lower, with where they meet flowing in a smooth transition. Does that make any sense? I know what I am trying to say, but I only hope I am able to convey it adequately. It is almost bedtime, lol.

As far as bone, I am referring to the structural development. I like them looking very massive throughout and Elops can have longer/finer structure sometimes. Pie isn't super narrow or anything, but I think it could only help him if you ever decide to breed him to select a solid doe with good bone/width/thickness. This is also an advantage for health as they are such a large breed that a strong bone structure can only be beneficial in the long run. I read that Elops used to have major problems with weak ankles and the like years ago and that the development of "good bone" helped to reduce the incidences of issues like that in the breed.

Thanks and I hope this helps!

Lauren

Latest posts

Back