Need a tattoo system.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZachsRabbits

Reaction score
I need a simple tattoo system that can be used by both of my breeds which are Dutch and Polish. I would like it to include something so I can know who is a buck and doe by the tattoo and something to know which are my rabbits on the table. I would not like to use the same tattoo for both breeds. Any Ideas?
My rabbitry is Green Pine Rabbitry and my initials are ZF.

ZachsRabbits":s5oeazih said:
I need a simple tattoo system that can be used by both of my breeds which are Dutch and Polish. I would like it to include something so I can know who is a buck and doe by the tattoo and something to know which are my rabbits on the table. I would not like to use the same tattoo for both breeds. Any Ideas?
My rabbitry is Green Pine Rabbitry and my initials are ZF.

There are a lot of options, like "GPDD**" for Green Pine Dutch Doe or "GPPB**" for Green Pine Polish Buck, where the "*" indicate a number, etc. or "GP11DD**" where the numbers following the GP indicate month born, etc. It will depend on what kind of tattoo tool you use, a clamp or a tattoo pen. I have the Inkinator and I love it.

ZachsRabbits":3mfvta8n said:
I have a KBTatt so options are not a problem. :)

I have multiple breeds too. My tattoo system is this: O for One Acre Farm Rabbits, N or R if NZW or Rex (nothing for Cals) D or B for doe or buck, and whatever the next open number is for that breed/sex. For example: OD10 is a Californian doe, ORB15 is a Rex buck, etc. Those are for rabbits I intend to keep. For the ones I plan to sell, its a bit different. I use first initial of doe and buck, month born, doe or buck, and kit number in litter. So, for example, "BA8D1" is the largest doe out of an August litter from Big Mama and Al.

Just use the first initial of the buck (X)followed by the first initial of the doe (Y)and start with two numbers ##. XY## Then you know at a glance who the dad and mom are and how many rabbits you've raised.

There are so many good tattoo systems that everyone has. It's really nice to be able to see at a glance the breeding, sex, etc. The problem I found though, was that on the show table if I'm taking notes about my rabbits I can't remember who's number is who's so I used to get really mixed up. The judges go so fast sometimes. I found what worked best for me is a 3-4 letter abbreviation of their name ( i.e. PHX for Phoenix or JSH for Joshua). Of course I only have about 10 - 12 rabbits showing at any one time. Guess I'm old and my memory isn't what it used to be! :)

I only have one breed so I don't worry about that part but I do have a lot of rabbits and so I start the tat with a # so I know what year the rabbit was born. All the kits born this year started with "5"
then I use the 1st letter of the sire, the 1st letter of the dam, and then odd # for bucks, even # for does.
So I have a list of words that I like to use for names for the bunz. I don't name a rabbit until they are a parent. That way I don't use up my valuable names :lol: Since I can only have one does or one buck with the same first initial at a time.
This year I am going to run out of letters for my does since right now I have 26 does who have had litters
Anise, Blush, Cincona, Design, Exotic, Frappuccino, Galaxy, Hypnotic, Ideal Clouds, Jujube, Kinesthetic, Mahuang, Nchantress, Ozma, Psillium, Quidditch, Radiant, Sassafras, Tansy, Unruffled, Vermillion, Watercolor, Xclusive, Yatzee, Zeodary

and 2 unnamed does due to kindle before the end of the year :?
I may have to resort to a 2 word names.

I just use sequential numbering for the Rex, but Angoras and JWs have names tatted in their ears, in abc order, different letter each year.

I like to tattoo the rabbit's name. I tried using codes but couldn't keep up. I know each of my Harlequins by sight, so it made more sense to me to use their individual names. GIN is my doe Virginia, MUR is Muriel, BALD is Baldy, etc. :)

EnglishSpot":2n5vq055 said:
The ones I've kept, I've tattooed a shortened form of their name in their ear. RNY is for Rainey, NDR is for Enderman.

I've done this too. Also KBTat pen, I love that thing once I got the hang of it.

Another thing is you could choose to use different color ink for gender too or breed (for eg, black for buck or dutch and then green for doe or polish) the options there are fairly limitless as any tattoo ink should work as long as it is dark enough to be legible (generally safe to stick with black/green/blue though). Just make sure you always keep legibility in mind when picking a color.

Latest posts

Back