Narrowing down housing..

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heartofagirl

Reaction score
My rabbit(s) have to stay outside and I live in Houston, TX. So I have to worry about predators, weather, and insects. :x Here's my options:

1. Buying Klubertanz cage and hanging it
Undecided between 14ga 1/2" x 1" or 16ga 1/2" x 1/2" sides on both 2" x 1". Is the wiring size on the side ok? I worry about raccoon hands. I was also advised to have a "house" inside, and wondering how hard it'd be to get the rabbit out of a 24" x 36" cage since it's only one door. The picture/description doesn't say where the door is located (on the left/right/middle).

2. Buying Klubertanz cage and putting it inside dog kennel/screen tent
With the dog kennel would I have to do extra wiring? or are the rabbit cage(s) inside the kennel ok? And with the screen tent how easy would it be for a racoon/oposum etc. to rip it open? I like the idea of keeping insects out.

3. Building hutch
The only wiring I've found is 19ga, but it's 1/2" x 1/2". Also, worry about the wood rotting/being eaten, and am I supposed to have a back/no back, two sides/none, or back and two sides? I plan on having a "house" section inside too.

I'm open to thoughts/suggestions. Thanks for your time.

To have actual predator-proof cages, the cages would need to be built out of 14-gauge floor wire (1" x 1/2") completely, with a second floor below the first, to keep toes from being bitten off. The second floor wouldn't be necessary, probably, if there is no dropping pan or waste chute below the cage, and it is several feet up in the air.

There are a few members with cages made of floor wire, so it can be done. :)

Most of us have standard cages like you describe. Between 14 gauge 1/2 x 1 or 16 gauge 1/2 x 1/2, I'd go with the 14 gauge. Some breeders do use 1/2 x 1/2 for floors, though. At least it's 16 gauge, and not the very thin 19 gauge 1/2 x 1/2 usually comes in. As for predators, and 1" x 2" sides, most of us have them in an enclosure of some sort. I think OneAcreFarm has fencing with hot wire. I have three walls of closely spaced pickets (like fencing) and one wall of wire fencing. Others have their rabbits in sheds.

Hutches can be built all sorts of ways. They are more difficult to keep clean, though.

Instead of Klubertanz cages, you might want to look at Bryant's Small Animal Equipment in Channelview and save on shipping. He makes AWESOME cages that aren't very expensive, and he uses really good wire. It's been a year, maybe, since I priced out his cages, but at that time I think he was charging $45 for a 30"x30"x18" cage with babysaver wire built in. I'm going to be replacing some of my original cages (that I built) soon, and I'll be buying my replacements from him.

trinityoaks":2w3h1clr said:
Instead of Klubertanz cages, you might want to look at Bryant's Small Animal Equipment in Channelview and save on shipping. He makes AWESOME cages that aren't very expensive, and he uses really good wire. It's been a year, maybe, since I priced out his cages, but at that time I think he was charging $45 for a 30"x30"x18" cage with babysaver wire built in. I'm going to be replacing some of my original cages (that I built) soon, and I'll be buying my replacements from him.
We get all our stuff from Bryant's...way cheaper than Klubertanz, super good quality and nice folks. The are off Sheldon Rd and I10.

Latest posts

Back