Naming A Rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
skysthelimit":2mv6wjat said:
Cattle Cait":2mv6wjat said:
I always wanted a rabbitry/farm name derived from the location where I live, but I don't know where that's going to be yet since I'm still in college and could wind up anywhere.

Same. I didn't want anything that identified with where I currently live, mainly because I hate living here, and I am still hoping one day I can afford some land. I needed a name I could carry with me, that might signify something but is not directly related to a specific location.

I'm in the same (or at least a similar) boat. There's the place I am, and there's the place, still inexact, that I will be. See, I'm from North Carolina, but I got into this in northern Illinois, and I dream of the day I'll get back to the South. Hence, Southbound Silver Fox! It's got my desires, and it'll still work when I do move.

My honeybees work for Southbound Apiaries, too, though I haven't needed the name yet. Maybe next year - I'll be up to 10 hives.

SB

At the moment our rabbitry has the same name as our farm

Sleepy Shepherd Farm

It's the registration name ( and registered tattoo SSPD ) for our sheep. I haven't decided if I should use it for the rabbitry as well or if I should get a name just for the rabbits. We follow the same principles raising all our livestock so I figure being consistant is good? But then there isn't alot of shepherding with rabbits, and rabbitry names are really cute, although alot of our rabbits are for the pot so maybe cute is bad....evidently I'm thinking while typing...yeah still don't know what were doing. We also tend to move alot - every 5 years or so.

Well, since we are sharing about our names I'll jump back in here. :)

Some friends of ours had named their place Heritage Hill. Heritage after the verse in the bible about children being a heritage from the Lord (they had 9 children). And their place was on a big hill. So when we were looking into picking a name for our "farm" someone came up with Heritage Homestead. And we all loved it! Now we have Heritage Homestead Rabbitry and Heritage Homestead Sheepfold.

I'm Bad Habit Rabbits. It was easy to come up with, as I have been using Bad Habit as an alias online for numerous years(like 10+ I think). From my research it wasn't already in use, and I hope to register it with the ARBA next year. Plus it's just cute and sounds nice.

Also, rabbits are a bad habit - it seems impossible to just have one!

The problem I had with naming my rabbitry is that I am really way too fickle about everything.
Every since I was in 5th grade I've gone through... Ruby Rush Rabbitry, Fancy That Rabbitry, and my only official (ARBA registered) On the Brightside Rabbitry.
I let that lapse when I quit breeding but I'm now getting a pair of Velveteens. I'm not sure whether to name my rabbitry yet or not because.. well who knows.I love having a name though! Just wish I could stick with one.

When we first started rabbits, it was a hobby for my husband and me - April & Kevin Foster - hence AKF Rabbitry.
Since we got out for a decade, and I went back into it on my own, AKF was still available thru ARBA, so I decided to go back with it.
All of my bunnies are tattooed AKF and whatever number they are.
My rabbitry is also registered thru ARBA as AKF Rabbitry.

I didn't want to base my rabbitry name on location (since people move, although I have no intention of doing so, but who knows what may forced upon me in the future) or breed, because Raging Rabbitosis has a way of adding or extracting breeds from the rabbitry... so I wanted a name that would serve me wherever I might be, raising one or more rabbit breeds.

I was lucky to stumble upon a name that also reflected my values and beliefs, and couldn't be happier. But it was a long time in coming- so I wouldn't be in a hurry to settle on just any name, and would recommend waiting until you have an epiphany with the "perfect" name for you.

Mine is The Welcome Homestead. It's not rabbit specific because I have chickens too and hopefully other animals in the future. I think the overall concept of a homestead is more of my goal than just the rabbits. I have the domain name http://www.thewelcomehomestead.com but it's just a simple web site primarily to let people know when I have rabbits available.

The name has "welcome home" in it and, as I have no desire to travel, I told all my family and friends that they can travel all over the world but I'll keep the home fires burning and if they ever need a home they have one here with me.

I only plan to move one more time and that will only be if I find my dream property that I can build the homestead that I've wanted all my life. I can't do it by myself so it will only happen if I meet someone like-minded, if that doesn't happen then this is my forever house! :)

Back