Naming A Rabbitry

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheels

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Just feeling curious and wondering why or why not you all decided to give your rabbit addiction hobby and/or business an actual name.

I play around with the idea time to time but I can't decide if I'm being a little presumptuous - considering that haven't many rabbit years under my belt

Today If I had a Name it would be:
Wappanocca.gif

Wappanocca is a general area I live in - Wapanocca Lake and Wildlife Refuge is up the road a touch. AND saying Wappanocca is just fun to do ;) (Some spell it with two p's the government spells it with one - either way it was a Chickasaw word that got 'Englished'

Tomorrow it may be something else - I like the word Sawtooth as that's the type of oak that shelters my rabbitry :)

I'm thinking about registering as a rabbitry with the ARBA after we start getting kits. Or maybe kits that have done well at shows.... I'm not sure.

And I like both names!

I needed a name to build a reputation. Once I started winning legs, and I have two rabbits I need to grand in my name and 4 to register, I figured it was time to take things seriously.

The wonderful people of RT chose my name, and I love it :)

I chose Mossflower rabbitry for my rabbitry name. Mossflower comes from Mossflower woods a place in my favorite books. I like having a special name for my rabbitry. I derive a lot of pleasure from my rabbits just like I do from my books I read. I use the names from the characters in the books for my rabbits. I plan on making it a business some day. I did not register with ARBA and have no plans to.

I named my rabbitry Victory Garden Rabbits after the "Victory Gardens" that the government asked civilians to plant during WWI and WWII in order to help with the war effort. Some people raised rabbits as part of their Victory Gardens. :)

It is my little way of thumbing my nose at today's government since they classify those of us who can or garden or homeschool as domestic terrorists. :twisted:

I love it, Wheels! I named mine One Acre Farm because our property is......one acre! :p

I actually named my rabbitry after the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. ;) Laura's Pa always called her Half-Pint since she was so small. I got the Hoppin' just because that's what a stereotypical rabbit does. :lol:

Plus, HHP's _________ looks pretty good. :lol:

MSD I wasn't aware I was a domestic terrorist..... Hmmm let me see if I meet the criteria...

Homeschool yep
Can yep
Garden (poorly) yep
Like Guns yep

Jeez, well no wonder my neighbors give me weird looks.

I named my rabbitry Lorazark, after the fact I always have multiple species. When I came up with it I had, let's see, dogs, cats, birds, guinea pigs, fancy mice and rabbits. The only things that weren't on the list but showed up later were reptiles, snakes, and fish. I still don't have reptiles but I most likely will eventually, I keep finding leopard geckos all over.

My farm is Foxhill Farm. By no means original. We live on a hill and have a lot of foxes. The other choice was Ravenwood. You can figure that one out I bet.

Wheels, if I were you I would make one small change.

Wappanocca Wabbitry

I chose, after much thought and discussion with
the other members of the family and friends/neighbors
to name it: "Crescent Valley Rabbitry"!
The reason behind it is:
The local Indians had named the area behind where I live,
"The Crescent Valley"!
So there you have it, the idiocy behind deciding a name!
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Mine's pretty simple. "R & K Rabbitry".
First initial of my son's name and mine.

Since it's a business, we needed it for tax purposes.

I've thought about having a website developed, but I
don't sell that many rabbits for breeding stock, yet.
I don't advertise that much, not wanting people traipsing
around the farm.

grumpy

I have it for pedigree/reference purposes, Rebel Rose. Initially it was for a small business venture with family (different name different time), but that's not the case any more. I've had 3 major events that have caused changes, and hence have caused name changes. Changing wasn't in the plan, but when its painfully uncomfortable to deal with a certain name, too many negative memories and feelings attached, best to move on. Or at least that's my thought on it. Since this last one is mine and mine alone, should be for the remainder I have rabbits. I have a web site staked out, just haven't finished building as I should. I also have a logo and other things worked out on paper, that should be in digital form. Other things have just taken priority. Some day I will have things up and running better. I have had very few to actually sell, so that adds to the no rush.

Schipperkesue":6lfhhw4c said:
Wheels, if I were you I would make one small change.

Wappanocca Wabbitry
:lol: I just might - My husbands Idea for a name was Fudd Farms!

MSD- My parents are children of the Victory Garden Era, I know all about that! Who knew being self sufficient 60ish years later would be considered a Terroristic act!

I enjoy hearing all the back stories :) Naming something is both a fun and sometimes tedious process!

Our rabbitry is PJ's Bunnies. The rabbits were supposed to be my husband's (Pastor John) project...but he bought the cute bunnies (!) so now I'm heavily involved. :D
Some days I threaten to get him a barn sign that reads 'PJ's Bunny Club & Tattoo Parlour' but not too sure how that would really go over with some of the church folks!

I love the name Wappanocca (sp?) Rabbitry.

I always wanted a rabbitry/farm name derived from the location where I live, but I don't know where that's going to be yet since I'm still in college and could wind up anywhere. My parents' farm is Break O' Day Farm because their farm is in the old Break O' Day school district. The old Break O' Day school house is just down the road from us. It's awesome when old timers see us at the market and ask, "Break O' Day? You aren't located south of town, near Blah-Blah Road, are you?"

I never really stuck with a name, again, because I'm always shuffling around, but I'm settling on Sojourner Farm, I think, since I'm a bit of a gypsy wanderer. Grandma says I got gypsy blood from my great-Grandpa because I'm never sitting still :)

Cattle Cait":31levncc said:
I love the name Wappanocca (sp?) Rabbitry.

I always wanted a rabbitry/farm name derived from the location where I live, but I don't know where that's going to be yet since I'm still in college and could wind up anywhere.

Same. I didn't want anything that identified with where I currently live, mainly because I hate living here, and I am still hoping one day I can afford some land. I needed a name I could carry with me, that might signify something but is not directly related to a specific location.

Latest posts

Back