Nails Fell off!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

equestrian<3

Reaction score
I was holding my rabbit as usual and he started kicking, as usual. He jumped out of my arms, I looked down and this is what I found in the carpet.

there is no blood and it does not seem to affect him. Why would this happen, and is it something I should worry about?

Attachments

• feafc.jpg
    feafc.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 4,891
his nails were too long and they broke off.

trim up the rest of his nails. be glad he didn't do any more damage to himself.

Yes, he nails were long and I had the front ones trimmed but he would not let the back ones be touched. I was handling him everyday trying to get him to let me touch them and he was getting better at it but not enough to let me trim them.

equestrian<3":11yq0ih8 said:
Yes, he nails were long and I had the front ones trimmed but he would not let the back ones be touched. I was handling him everyday trying to get him to let me touch them and he was getting better at it but not enough to let me trim them.

Here is how I do the back feet. Put bunny on a table or other sturdy surface that you can stand next to. Place him facing behind you and at your side. Place him between your side and your elbow and grip him to your body with your elbow and arm. With that same arm, extend his foot out behind him and hold it while using the other hand to trim the nails.

Hope this helps.

the way oneacre's describes works best.

but if you can't get him to abide that (being slow and gentle) here's another option:

can you flip him on his back?

if so.. flip him on his back, pin his ears between your knees and trim those nails. Keep his head lower than his backend.

OR have someone help you. Wrap him TIGHT in a towel, pull out a foot and trim it.

OneAcreFarm has given you one method and I see now that Ladysown has explained the method I had in mind, using a towel. But I'll post anyway.

You may have to wrap him in a towel with the hind feet accessible in order to trim those claws. If the had broken them off at the quick and was bleeding, you would have had to deal with it. Preventative trimming is a lot easier than that. Do you have something in the house to stop bleeding, if you need it? A styptic powder (used for razor nicks) or a veterinary product such as BloodStop is useful. Otherwise use plain flour or cornstarch.

We took him to the vet's office to get this problem solved once and for all. And that's what they did, wrapped him in a towel to keep him calm and just took one foot out at a time. He can be flipped over but only for a few seconds at a time. That's actually what i was working with him on. We do have a powder that we use for the dogs and cat to stop bleeding.

The only thing is, it wont be once and for all--he will need regular trimming, and you should be able to use the same method the vet used. I find that using the towel method a few times leads to an animal that is more docile when he is on his back. After the first few trims, they will tolerate nail trimming without the towel, whether that is because they have matured or because they learn it will happen no matter what they do I am not sure...

query... has his behaviour improved since his nails were trimmed?

I've rescued more than one bunny that was deemed unhandleable. I trim their nails decently and it's like an overnight change. Suddenly they are more willing to be handled. of course not sure if it's because I don't tend to take a lot of guff from a rabbit and know how to hold them to get them to just chill out....OR if it's because suddenly their feet no longer hurt them so there is no need to be a freakazoid about being picked up.

He has gotten a little bit more handlelable (if that's even a word) ;) I can move him around my room fairly easily, but that's just a short distance. I am going to start increasing the time I hold him, but he's is still not too crazy about it

So,
he was a regular Freddy Cruger!
Yes as was stated is is very important to
keep nails properly trimmed.
Overly long nails can cause/bring about sore Hocks.
Good lookin out with the nails.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

I was trimming his nails every 3 months or so until about 3 weeks ago when I went to trim him and he was having the major issues with being handled so I couldn't get it done but now after watching the vet I know the trick ;) Quick question; with the nails that came off, they didn't break all the way down but they are still pretty short. We have a show next month and I was wondering if anybody knew if bad/missing nails are faults?

trim the nails once a month. If the nails are gone... a fault/// not sure if a dq. if short not an issue as far as I know.

Latest posts

Back