Myth Busting: Hybrid vs. Silver Fox

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PulpFaction

Reaction score
I added this on the Silver Fox thread in the Breeds section, but it merits its own spot here:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/v ... id=5282766

Overall I think the Silver Fox out performed the mix litter. The Silver Fox ate less and there really was not that much of a difference in the final product. Only 2/10 of an oz difference for .23 cent per rabbit. If you were growing out 100 rabbits that would of been a savings of $23.00.

For the backyard breeder the Silver Fox would be a win/win breed to have. They are friendlier and easier to handle. Your culls would make excellent pets and/or great meat rabbits for another breeder. They are rare and you would be helping to save them. Their pelts could be sold to help in food cost.

I was really pleasantly surprised to see the SF hold its own against what everyone always claims to be the "super rabbit" when it comes to meat breeds!

I just spent a few years over there reading, lol. Good forum!

Any rate, the results really surprized me, but I did wonder if the reason was because this was not a first generation cross? Still...SF beat the cross by a long shot, eating less and basically being the same size. I DO know now what my NEXT meat breed will be!

Hybrid vigor IS a myth.. The only time it appears otherwise is when you out-cross a highly inbred rabbit to a new line, the resulting does will most likely have much larger litters. The only signs of extreme inbreeding are smaller stature and small litters or less fertility. NZW's and Cal's are hybrids themselves bred off the Chins and older meat breeds that already existed. I don't know where this nzw x cal makes a super rabbit came from. Cals were also developed off NZW's as well. NZW's are a modern meat breed developed in the States for commercial meat production. I never understood why anybody had to reinvent the wheel as in deliberately crossing them with other breeds. Its one thing to breed what you have on hand but another to actively seek out different breeds to crossbreed because one believes that just the act of crossbreeding will turn out a super rabbit! Glad to read this person's study, Thanks :)

Latest posts

Back