My very first kits!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoxerMom

Reaction score
I'm so very excited to announce the arrival of my very first little rabbit babies! Rio had 8 babies about noon today, but sadly one was born dead. I found another on the wire, alive, but kind of chilly, so I put it in the nest with the others, who were all feeding so I hope that one got fed, too. When I took them inside to get weights the kit was still a little on the cool side, but it was separated from the group. I put it with the others and put one of the other kits on top of it and covered them with extra fur.

About an hour ago Hollis also had her kits. I believe she had 5, but she is very protective of them, and since I could see all were squirmy and watched her feed them, I'm not too worried about for now, I will try to check later. Both does delivered the kits next to the nestbox. There was plenty of straw there, but with Rio's kits I did put them in the nestbox once I lined it with fur and made sure they were good and covered. This was an OK thing to do, right? I plan on moving Hollis's kits later today.

The kits were a lot bigger than I expected! I was expecting little teeny tiny things! Everyone in Rio's litter was between 2-3 oz. Rio had one black kit and it looks like Hollis had two. I was kind of thrown off about that! I don't know anything about rabbit genetics but I wasn't expecting black buns!

A few of Rio's kits
IMGP1628.jpg

Hollis's Kits
IMGP1677.jpg

Random kit of Rio's
IMGP1659.jpg

I was thinking the next time I check on the kits, if that one that was on the cool side I might put it in with Hollis's litter, that will give them 6 each to care for.

Yes, you can move them to the box. I would put straw under them if you didn't already, not just fur. they pee in the nest box, so absorbent material is good.

I wouldn't bother evening out the litters, but many people do. I don't think it will hurt either way, not a big enough difference in litter size...

congrats on the cuties!

LOL, I love the pics... so cute! Makes me laugh though, you are talking about their size being 2-3oz... my two girl netherlands were 7 and 8 ounces at 6 weeks.

Congrats on the babies!!!

Yes I did put straw in the nestboxes, so hopefully everyone will be nice and warm! I can't believe I got to be awake when they were born, I was expecting them to arrive last night. Oh and today was day 31 of the pregnancy- so right on schedule!<br /><br />__________ Sat Jun 04, 2011 8:37 pm __________<br /><br />Well Hollis finally allowed me to check out her kits. I'm very happy to say she didn't have 5....she had NINE! All look healthy and well fed.

Congratulations!!! :bouncy:

Some ladies have been known to warm up a chilled kit by stashing it in the middle of their brassieres. Or by putting it in a pocket... but the bra would probably be warmer. You can also put it on a hot water bottle. :)

A chilled kit often has trouble nursing.

*** Oops... I appear to be signed in as my son. I'm Miss M. :lol: ***

Hahaha! Too funny. When I checked on the kits last night all we nice and warm, checked on them this morning and all were alive and wiggling and warm and had full bellies! I still can't believe how HUGE they are!

That first litter is so exciting! Congratulations, what breed are they? That one looks like it has checkered giant coloring...

There's no way Styxx, my giant checkered, can deny these babies are his! Every kit in Hollis's litter is marked like a checkered giant, except the two black ones. Rio had 1 black one, a couple marked like checkered giants, but most are marked like Rio. Rio and Hollis are New Zealand/Giant Chinchilla crosses.

Congratulations on your kits! Sounds like both does are doing good as mommy's even if they had them next to the box :) They look so adorable!

YAY!! Congrats on your first litters, it's so exciting!!! :wbounce: Enjoy them, they grow so quickly!

Thanks! :D they ARE growing fast, I think I am still in shock! I weighed them again today and they are all 3-4 oz and fat and happy. Mama's hate it when I stick my hand in to check on them. I have to block them off from the enclosed nest area just so I don't get my hand ripped off o_0. I am glad they are being good mothers, though. I was a little worried after reading stores of how rabbit moms aren't exactly the best.

Latest posts

Back