My rabbit barn!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessiesue

Reaction score
I wanted to try and share a few pics with you guys. New to this and fairly new to rabbits. We have no one around here that raises meat rabbits so we are winging it. We build our set up with stuff we had laying around and it is still an ongoing project. We welcome all comments and/or opinions.
Well I'm not having any luck putting up pics. Don't know thought I had it figured out. I do have an album

Here ya go!

010.jpg
<br /><br />__________ Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:49 pm __________<br /><br />Very nice bun by the way!

Thanks, thats my best Mamma so far. She pulled through all the freezing weather when the others lost theirs. She is just a mutt.

what are you using for floors, I hope not the hardware cloth (fine mesh) you built your doors out of, a fine mess will cut the rabbits feet up, esp. with heavier rabbits, that said, love the chutes, wish I had the space for some in mine.

The floors are the same as the fronts, but they have been in there since September and we havn't had a problem. They do have plywood resting boards. I handel everyday and keep check on the feet for this. My next cages will have the heavier gage wire though.

check out klubertaz.com, something like 14ga is many times as thick as hardware cloth, and even though you may not see it now, you will end up with foot problems

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge
you can see that 14ga is about 5 times thicker than 28ga wire, and you have to flip the rabbit, feel the feet and check for bare spots
I don't mean to jump on you for your materials use, rather I'm warning you, from personal experience.

Jack, didn't think you were jumping on me. HAHAHA
Their feet are fine. We don't have any real big rabbits, prefere 6-8 lb. range.
My grey is the biggest I have, keep extra check on her. Believe me every thing we have is spoiled and if we thought something neede changed we would. I thought maybe we would need to change the wire after it gets some age on it. We were affraid of bunny feet going through the 1/2" by 1" wire. We looked at it at Tractor Supply.

I was wanting to ask also about 18% feed. We feed the pellets and grass hay, can't find 18%. ? Is their something I can suppliment for Xprotien.

1/2 x1 is preferred as 1/2 x 1/2 tends to trap too much poo, the pellets clear better on it, and the feet don't get stuck, it's the standard size of floor wire, some times you might have a issue with a baby... but thats it. As for feed, there are lots of choices, mana pro makes a whole series, and it's not just the protein, I raise show rabbits, so a medium fat, 16% high fiber is what I look for, a meat rabbit (and those who breed meat can correct me) feed is higher fat 16% or 18% feed for weight gain, look for something like Mana Pro Gro, or pro. A pet food is a ~16% low fat to help keep the pounds off.

That said, I supplement with BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) a type of bird food, and oats, with Calf Manna for pregnant and nursing does, and to finish my rabbits before a show.

back wards manna pro (company) three big typs of feed by the company is PRO, GRO and SHO

Jessiesue,
I agree with Jack on the Floor Wire issue.
You will eventually have foot problems which may lead to
having to CULL those Rabbits.
When I first started with Rabbits I too tried to use
just whatever I had available or could scrounge.
I had to eventually revamp my cages when I had the funds and bought the proper
1/2 X 1" floor wire. It will be to both your and your rabbits benefit to make
plans to ASAP replace the floors with the above stated.
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Have started Boss and Oats.
I have heard giving them tums before they kindle is a great help. Have you heard that?

I've heard of giving them tums but have never seen the need. I do supplement some with calf manna, but that's because right now I'm stuck using a 16% feed.

I think the only time one should use Tums is if the doe is having problems in labour. They contain calcium and that can be beneficial under those circumstances. But I would not do it routinely.

Back