My Other Animals

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cspr

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I cannot add any photos right now--dang my computer being a derp!--but I can tell you all about my cuties, right? Right. :p

We have four chickens, all hens. We have two French Marans (black and blue copper), one Orpington (lavender), and one RIR. We were sold one Maran as a blue, but now she has a ruff of glorious copper feathers and I am not at all displeased. The RIR has a few black tail feathers, which I'm not sure is normal. The black Maran has black eyes, the RIR and blue copper Maran have brown eyes, and the Orpington has green eyes. Their names are Chiclet (RIR), McNugget (black), Henrietta (blue copper), and Peep (lavender).

We have two cats, both queens, named Claire and Lailah. Claire is a black bicolor with hazel eyes. Lailah is a pointed seal bicolor with slightly crossed blue eyes. Claire was born from a rescued feral queen, Charlotte, and when only a few days old, eyes not even open, she crawled into my sister's lap--there was no getting rid of her. Lailah is my cat, a Craigslist kitten, and she is a derp: she used to chase her own tail, she's afraid of heights, she rarely falls on her feet, and she'll eat to the point she throws up. Luckily she's a cuddler and purrer, which makes up for it. Yes, neither of those words are accepted by Google's spell-check, but I'm going with them. They are in a turf war with the shrews and ribbon snakes.

We also have one dog, a German Shepherd Dog/Labrador mix. She's black sable. Since I'm allergic, she has to stay outside, but she's a dear. She protects our chickens, rabbits, and cats from predators such as possums and she'll herd anything that moves, which is a useful trait when you have free range chickens. She's a great help.

And that's it (for now)! I just had the extreme urge to brag. Might've done it before, but who knows? Doesn't matter. They deserve it.

Also, I have decided that chickens are my choice meat animal, not rabbit. Sorry for the blasphemy! :lol:

I completely understand the chicken pride! I am ecstatic that our Lavenders are starting to lay. I have so many requests for chicks from them already.

We have an old cat rescued from the pound when she was very young, -they were going to kill her because she was anti-social
so -- of course my wife "saved" her -she is about 14 now [and still anti-social] but I did teach her to "suck up" and ask for a bite of food things she is interested in, so she does not hide all day any more.[she likes my wife, and sits on her lap to be petted or sleep ] I am allergic to her so we don't get cuddly. We also have a Papillion dog, who wants to sit or sleep with me, but likes everyone, especially if they have food.-- Chickens for eggs- and sheep that belong to my friend [who owns the house I live in] -
---------- I want to get some more ducks, [kacky Campbell, or some egg laying cross] I have little pens built under the rabbit pens, for them-- used to raise them [ducks] under the rabbits and they did great eating all the feed the rabbits wasted, -- I just fed them the "scrap" bucket from the house each day. and they did fine and-- I got free eggs.

Yes, ladysown, they keep me nicely busy. XD Luckily I have family to help me care for them, especially in this cold weather! Fibromyalgia is terrible in this kind of weather. I feel the urge to move to Florida or Hawaii now, I swear.

Marinea, that's wonderful! I wondered if I was the only one. I often see the rabbit as Thumpers, but I look at the chickens and I'm like, "Hello, delicious." I swear they waft the smell of fried chicken these days. XD I need some Cornish X or something, because the hens are for eggs. Haven't gotten any eggs out of them yet, but they're not expected to lay until spring or early summer. I kind of want to raise chickens, honestly. Super-duper easy to care for, even more so than rabbits, and there's a demand here. You can get chickens for $1-5, then resell them at a couple of months for $20-30. I'm scheming a lot over that. XD Of course, cannot do that where we live currently, but we're planning on purchasing an acre with only two neighbors who don't use the back of their lots. Basically, I'm considering it. As is, I'm so glad you're getting requests already! Orpingtons and Marans are big here. We had to drive out of state to find some. I can't wait to bake with Maran eggs. We don't even plan to sell hatching eggs (no roosters), but we're getting requests for Marans, Olive Eggers, and Orpingtons. -dies laughing- Good luck with your birds!

Back