my new rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmfarm

Reaction score
I just picked up some new rabbits yesterday. 3 Californian does, 2 Californian bucks, and 1 NZB doe. They are all 3 months old. The breeder raises them for show and stock shows, and she seemed to have really good stock. I really hope that these put me in the right direction for my breeding program. And here they are:
buns.jpg

Thanks everyone. Right now I am trying to decide if I should just sell my older rabbits, because I don't like how long it is taking the offspring to reach 5 pounds. They are good mothers though.

Maybe keep one of the really good moms and breed her at the same time as your new does just in case you need to foster kits? If all goes well, then you can decide her fate.

How are the new rabbits doing? I won't be breeding again until September, but the new doe I got had one nice litter before the summer. I kept a doe back from my #1 doe as well so I am excited about the fall.

Joe

cmfarm":10qssvnl said:
Thanks everyone. Right now I am trying to decide if I should just sell my older rabbits, because I don't like how long it is taking the offspring to reach 5 pounds. They are good mothers though.

You need to consider the heat......they won't do well, nor grow well
when the temps are elevated. Unless they're in climate-control, they'll
take quite a while to reach five pounds.

It's too hot and they're not hungry. If they don't eat, they won't gain
the weight.

Be cautious of the new stock....they may have the "handle" for a meat
breed. But.....show stock isn't meat stock. I'm not trying to bust your
bubble, but only warn you of the possibility that the youngsters you
bought may not prove out for the purpose you want.

I know because on more than one occasion I've tried to blend the show
stock into the commercials' I've got and it didn't pan out. Poor mothering,
small litters, low milk production and a real P.I.T.A. to breed were just
a few of the issues you might find with yours. You need to be monitor
their temperament as they mature. Feedin' alligators ain't fun.

I wish you the best of luck.

grumpy.

Thank you Grumpy for the advice. I always appreciate your input since you have been doing things for so long and know what you are doing. At the time I was breeding the other rabbits (which I ended up selling some for natural feeding) it was still very cool (in winter and spring). These guys in the picture where stock used in the livestock show. I got them for a very good price, so if they don't turn out how I like them then it isn't that big of a deal. So far they are very friendly rabbits but I guess we shall see how they do when it comes time to breed them.

Sometimes to know how you look, you just gotta get your picture took. Time will tell and it's such a challenging and interesting and tasty journey in the process. How many do you hope to produce per year?
5 lbs at 12 weeks has always been my goal but rarely seen. I wish you the best!

Latest posts

Back