My new girl!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here she is!! Fiona's daughter (the NZR), Heaven! The best I can figure is she is aa B_ C_ D_ __

So I went to my sister's house to get a Fiona agouti daughter (because the two I kept were boys) and it turns out the three agoutis at her house were all boys!! There was an escapee agouti, but there was no way we could catch it on her property. So that left three black siblings. My sister and I grabbed up the first black rabbit.... a boy!!! Second black rabbit... a girl!! Third black rabbit... a boy!!

So Trooper engendered seven boys, one girl, and a mystery (the escapee).

So she'll get to grow up this summer and then I'll breed her to Wheatley. They'll have agouti babies who'll be 3/4 NZR and if she carries the non extension ee, maybe she'll throw some reds!!

Attachments

• AHome 052.JPG
    AHome 052.JPG
    198.2 KB · Views: 714
  • AHome 053.JPG
    AHome 053.JPG
    162.5 KB · Views: 714
She's got a nice personality. I look at her in the sunshine and her black is streaked with an agouti chocolate color mixed in with the black. So in these pics she looks black, but in the sunlight she's black with chocolate highlights??

In my understanding, she cannot be visibly black and chocolate. It must be the red coming through in her coat?

She is beautiful!! :p

EnglishSpot, you have been fully indoctrinated into the rabbitosis-stricken mob. You're coming home with a new rabbit every week, it seems! :lol:

You're not improving my own case either, because here I am trying to just stick with New Zealand reds and you are making me want blacks too! :runaround:

Susie570":10h6tw1l said:
In my understanding, she cannot be visibly black and chocolate. It must be the red coming through in her coat?

That's what I thought too. We had a black Irish Setter cross when I was growing up and Tiffany shone with red highlights in the right light. I'm wondering if this might be the same thing. We'll see what happens when she finishes with her adult coat.

Phacelia":10h6tw1l said:
She is beautiful!! :p EnglishSpot, you have been fully indoctrinated into the rabbitosis-stricken mob. You're coming home with a new rabbit every week, it seems! :lol: You're not improving my own case either, because here I am trying to just stick with New Zealand reds and you are making me want blacks too! :runaround:

LOL, my husband think I'm crazy too! Honestly, I've got my two does, Megan (broken NZR) and Heaven (NZR/MR cross), and two bucks, Trooper (MR) and Wheatley (NZR). My daughter has her own rabbit, Lexi. Megan and Heaven will be 'working' does, whereas Lexi is my daughter's doe. We're not allowed to eat the offspring of Lexi. :lol: Heaven is my first home grown rabbit. I have to admit, between you and Homer, I've fallen hard for NZRs!!!

EnglishSpot":g5hrszdn said:
She's got a nice personality. I look at her in the sunshine and her black is streaked with an agouti chocolate color mixed in with the black. So in these pics she looks black, but in the sunlight she's black with chocolate highlights??
Maybe she is a little bleached out from the sun.

EnglishSpot":11lcogy9 said:
Susie570":11lcogy9 said:

That's what I thought too. We had a black Irish Setter cross when I was growing up and Tiffany shone with red highlights in the right light. I'm wondering if this might be the same thing. We'll see what happens when she finishes with her adult coat.

I'm afraid I have no idea about rabbit colour genetics so I might be entirely wrong in assuming a slight similarity in expression/effect, but I do know cat colour genetics rather well and this certainly happens in cats too; a black cat carrying the recessive Cinnamon (auburn-y colour) gene will often look rusty in the sun. It's undesirable from a cat show point of view but it's practically unavoidable. I personally always thought it looked rather attractive :lol:

EnglishSpot":21whflhg said:

more like her fur is sun bleached. it turns Black fur brown. She'll molt out of it and be completely black again. my colony bunnies are like that since they like to sun themselves.

_homgeager__by_roobot.gif
Wow, she's absolutely gorgeous!! So pretty :twisted:

Latest posts

Back