My new custom rabbit cages =D

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireclaws bunnbutts

Reaction score
Seriously, they're spoiled. My HL's cages are way too small, so my grandpa helped me build my own.

It took about 5 hours and we only got one done today, just two more to go :pancake:

They're 3ft long, 30inches wide and 24 inches tall. I figure that's more than enough room to be spoiled lol.

AzNLeOC.jpg

hhOv8iQ.jpg
<br /><br /> __________ Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:44 pm __________ <br /><br /> I totally just realized we built this out of pine x_x Because it's the only thing our lowes has and it cost enough as it is lol.

That'll be ok, right? :(

Fireclaws bunnbutts":1uejsm9t said:
I totally just realized we built this out of pine x_x Because it's the only thing our lowes has and it cost enough as it is lol.

That'll be ok, right? :(

Pine is what I make my Critterz Chewzit toys out of. It wont hurt them at all, but they are going to chew the wood. You should run your wire on the inside of the cage to prevent them from chewing up all of your hard work. ;)

Also- just a suggestion- you should drill pilot holes before putting the screws in. It will keep the boards from splitting. :)

MamaSheepdog":3lzschts said:
Pine is what I make my Critterz Chewzit toys out of. It wont hurt them at all, but they are going to chew the wood. You should run your wire on the inside of the cage to prevent them from chewing up all of your hard work. ;)

Also- just a suggestion- you should drill pilot holes before putting the screws in. It will keep the boards from splitting. :)

Ok, good :| I am just used to small animals where everyone is like "Nooooooo!" when it comes to pine lol.

Also, as for the Pilot holes, we realised that only after we'd finished building the cage :lol: The next one will be a lot easier lol.

Fireclaws bunnbutts":3f68tvod said:
Ok, good :| I am just used to small animals where everyone is like "Nooooooo!" when it comes to pine lol.

Pine is considered to be safe bedding by many people- it's commonly used in nestboxes even. :) Cedar is the big no-no, but even that would likely be safe for framing a cage.

Wood contains oils that can irritate the respiratory tract, but a lot of surface area has to be exposed.

Think of it like this; a whole onion doesn't make you tear up, but as you chop it into finer and finer pieces and the volatile oils are exposed, your eyes start burning and the tears start flowing. The same principle applies to the oils in wood.

You and your grandpa did a good job! Nice teamwork!! You'll have to post pics when you get your buns in there too :bunnyhop:

Great job! The more cages/hutches you build the better they will be. You'll think of ways to make it better, stronger, less maintenance, and the list goes on and on. I also agree that the wire should be on the inside. I learned the hard way on my first hutch build, I had to replace it within the first year. Please keep us posted!

Your cages look very nice! It was super that your grandfather helped you with them. The only thing I wanted to caution you on is to ask if the floor was hardware cloth wire? It is hard to tell from the picture exactly what kind of wire you used and if that was the floor or if the open top was the floor that would be covered with something else. Hardware cloth is really rough and it is really hard on rabbit feet, so I thought I would mention it just in case.

Great job, though!

Latest posts

Back