My Lop Keeps Biting!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaChewy

Reaction score
I bought a young fuzzy holland lop a while ago from some breeders, and I'm having some trouble with him... He's about 5 months old now or so if I remember right, and it just kinda seems like he's becoming increasingly aggressive... When I let him run around, if I'm in a place he can reach me he likes to hop around/on me, but he's started nipping me and it can kind of hurt. Also, in the past two times I let him out, when I went to pick him up to put him back in his cage, he leapt forward and bit my hand, though not hard enough to break the skin. The last time I just let him out so I could clean his cage, and when I went to get him again he leapt forward to bite my hand and bit it HARD, it started bleeding almost immediately. Now I'm just about in tears and I don't know what to do, I love him and he's so adorable so I don't want to have to give him away, but I can't handle having a mean bunny. I've read that you're not supposed to bop them if they bite so now I know not to do that, but I'm afraid I won't be able to get him to stop, like he's already decided he doesn't like me or something. Please help. :(

His hormones are kicking in. Neuter him or tough it out.

Bucks will nudge and nibble and some will bite does as part of courtship, if she doesn't want to be courted she will do a deep staccato growl and stomp her feet at him, most bucks back off but young ones can get frustrated and chase or bite HARD but does usually attack back and chase him away, usually he gives up realizing you catch more flies with honey.

I recommend you wear gloves until he gets better control of his hormones. If you pull back and leave him alone when he acts bad you are teaching him that he can boss you around. By wearing gloves you are less likely to flinch and can continue handling him or working in his cage.

I have found rabbits to be very sound sensitive and giving them warning growls when they just start to act bossy can get them to calm down, it doesn't work after the scratch or bite, it must be at the very start of the bad behavior when they start tensing up and are getting ready to act out.

This bad teenage behaviour usually passes as long as you don't show him you are afraid, with does it doesnt always work.

Good luck

Dood":q5k9cu94 said:
His hormones are kicking in. Neuter him or tough it out.

Bucks will nudge and nibble and some will bite does as part of courtship, if she doesn't want to be courted she will do a deep staccato growl and stomp her feet at him, most bucks back off but young ones can get frustrated and chase or bite HARD but does usually attack back and chase him away, usually he gives up realizing you catch more flies with honey.

I recommend you wear gloves until he gets better control of his hormones. If you pull back and leave him alone when he acts bad you are teaching him that he can boss you around. By wearing gloves you are less likely to flinch and can continue handling him or working in his cage.

I have found rabbits to be very sound sensitive and giving them warning growls when they just start to act bossy can get them to calm down, it doesn't work after the scratch or bite, it must be at the very start of the bad behavior when they start tensing up and are getting ready to act out.

This bad teenage behaviour usually passes as long as you don't show him you are afraid, with does it doesnt always work.

Good luck

:yeahthat:

I agree with Dood.

My Mini Lop bucks tend to go through a stage that all they want to do it breed and they might give you a unexpected bite or nip if they try to "court" you. Been there and done that with a buck hanging from my arm (luckily wearing 2 sweaters and a long sleeve shirt. I had doe scent on my arm) and I had to give him a pretty good smack to let go. Let's say, he never pulled anything like that again since, but I'm aware of those times he is humming and buzzing for a mate. Otherwise, they are sweet and make it pass that crazu teenage stage without further problems.

I do take into account if the behavior isn't normal for my youngster. If he's been going that his whole life, than it's likely not going to change.

I bop a rabbit that bites..but it wouldn't bite again after that. I just plain don't tolerate a rabbit that comes at me with teeth any more than I would a dog that does. It's only size that is the difference..next time it could be a kid

I can't deal with biting rabbits. I fully believe pets should be sold ad adults if you are not experienced. Teenage rabbits suck.

Thanks everyone, especially Dood and MamaSheepdog! :) I was hoping it had something to do with hormones... And I definitely don't plan on culling him, but hopefully it won't become that bad either. Appreciate the help!

There are certain things I will cull for right away biting wise,but not if very unusual for the rabbit. I was bitten really hard on the nose by my first rabbit Jack as I was working on my labtop and came to give him a kiss his head. Was he normally a biter? No. He had never been an aggressive rabbit. He was always sweet, and easy to handle, but he was trying to make aware that I hadn't given him dinner. He was a grouchy teenager for whatever the reason,but never did it again. I give a fair chance to my bucks after I've been table breeding as I usually have to stimulate does on occasion to lift or I've been cleaning cages. I won't cull a buck that generally hangs his head out for head scratches,petting,and doesn't mind me working/rearranging things in their cage.

Since he is a pet your best bet would be to get him neutered. It will get his hormones in order and hopefully calm him down. Maybe even after he is healed up he could have a female bun as a companion. Just know that not all rabbits can bond and if you do get a second you might end up with 2 seperate set ups.

Back