My hutch system as of now (Pictures!)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
These aren't so bad, Logan, they are similar to my hutches.

The only thing I would do differently is that where your wire dividers are framed with lumber along the wire floor, I would have used cage clips, and I would have clad the walls with something pee proof, preferably metal. Ok, I would have done a lot of other things differently, like not bothering to frame the doors or fronts of the cages, and using poop chutes and not trays, but you said you didn't get much say in how these were built. The two main places for pee to settle are the walls and that piece of lumber along the bottom of the dividers.

I am lucky to have a husband in the sheet metal business, so I get metal scraps for free, but there is corrugated roofing, or you can get flat oil drip pans designed to protect garage floors at walmart, or snip apart duct work that goes under houses, all will get you fairly big pieces of metal, unfortunately they will eventually rust, but it is better than stinky wood. It would be a small hassle, but you could retrofit what you have. Of course the rabbits would still spray the walls, but it wont soak in, and they have to spray something...

I mean they can't just hang in mid-air unless you have a really big barn, and they can't be in an open air set-up unless you are in TX or something, like OneAcreFarms. I seem to remember you further north...The trouble with plain hanging cages, is that if you hung them in their current position, the wall of your house will look like the inside of the hutches!

There's A LOT I would do differently too, however, like you said, I really didn't have ANY say in the matter, but oh well, I guess I'll just have to deal with what I've got for the time being.

Back