My first time getting bit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMTex

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I got a free rabbit a short time back and she turned out to be a nice looking NZW. She's been so sweet and a little playful while in quarantine inside the house. I've been replacing her bedding at least once a day.

Last night, I was cleaning her cage and she lunged at me. I didn't think much of it and kept cleaning. I had a handful of soiled shavings that I was removing and she bit me hard. It was like a pair of razor blades and it cut real deep into my finger.

I guess it's an experience that people go through, but it sure was surprising. Painful, too.

After cleaning and bandaging, I went back to put new bedding in and she was her sweet self again. She let me pet her and everything.

This morning, she was still as sweet as could be. The previous owners named her "Angel", but I'm thinking of changing that to "Demon" or "Ms Hyde".

Any other name suggestions? :)

She probably gave you warning signs that you ignored. Any animal can and will bite, no point in getting rid of her if you just didn't recognize or pay attention to the warnings she gave.
That new rex doe bit me the other day, she's all frazzled because she's with another doe and a buck. She's sick of him trying to breed her and I didn't see how close I was because the little loft I added got in my way. She looked a bit surprised after that my hand wasn't a rabbit.
That's usually when a doe is more prone to being aggressive, after you breed her. They assume it's another buck coming to bother them or they think you are about to take them back to the buck. They can be pretty smart and if all you do with them is move to breed, they will learn you're not a great thing to deal with and you're the start of a buck annoying them.

I've had buns under many situations, new, does that kindled 10 days after arriving at the house, didn't know me, I reach in and take nestboxes... Only one has every bit me, period. There are other ways to warn, or just back up in the cage and hide, but you don't get to bite. It only gets worse.

I'm hoping she'll calm down and eventually give me some meat bunnies. The lady who gave her to me did so in good faith that I would keep her or rehome her. I'm a man of my word.

So, culling is out of the question. Rehoming would be difficult, so my best option is to use patience and make her understand that she's safe. That, and maybe wear gloves when cleaning her cage out. :)

When she passes through quarantine, she'll be in a larger hutch, so that might help as well.

I've had some rabbits that simply don't like it when you clean the cage while they are in it. The action of reaching,wiping, scrubbing or brushing the floor while they are in the cage upsets some rabbits. Even my Am. Blue doe seems upset when I scoop fallen hay from the floor of the cage with my hand. The other 3 don't mind. She doesn't like the action but loves to be petted. So those get moved to a temporary cage for cleanings. They're happy and I'm happy. :)

She's calming down. I've been bribing her with regular petting sessions and shredded wheat. I've also been letting her eat out of the food container while I'm holding it. I still fill her bowl, but she likes the personal touch.

DW is still angry at her for biting me. I can understand that, because if she bit my wife like that, she'd be in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back