My first case of nest box eye...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sommrluv

Reaction score
and the first time the kits are raised in a wood box. Connection?

I read some of the previous thread on nestbox eyes...What type of teabags were people using?

Can I use a generic eye ointment?

Chamomile tea is generally what is used in my experience. I have found that kittens with nest box eye clear up in a day or two if I just clean the goo with warm water. I think the bacteria (?) or whatever proliferate in low oxygen environments (closed eyes sealed with goo come to mind) and once they get some air one or two more treatments are all that is necessary.

I've not done so, but a neighbor used neosporin in a litter of kittens that had terribly gooey eyes, and it cleared up in a couple of days.

If you use an ointment, it should be one specifically for eyes. I use Veterycin pink eye spray on mine and it works well. We had a few with it in metal nest boxes that I had put a solid bottom in.

OneAcreFarm":19cg8yhw said:
it should be one specifically for eyes.

I agree. I always have opthalmic ointment. It lasts forever, and it's inexpensive.

OneAcreFarm":19cg8yhw said:
I use Veterycin pink eye spray on mine and it works well.

I've never seen that! I might have to find it online, since I don't think our feedstore carries it.

I notice my kits get it if I disturb the nest too much, not the act of moving them or the fur around, but if the hay/bedding is disturbed. I also had one I thought had nest box eye, turned out it had a damaged eye, like something had poked it... hay or bunny claw? I haven't had much luck with the ones I move indoors to treat, there was a big difference in growth. From now on I'll just cull them if the affected eye doesn't clear up after a day or 2 of treatment.

Latest posts

Back