My dishpan hidey-holes

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TerriG

Reaction score
The dishpans were less than $2/each at WalMart. Traced my line on it and took the jigsaw to it. Easy peasy!

Here are four 4-week old kits enjoying theirs
IMG_20121228_144213_zps9f162837.jpg

Five 4-week kits
IMG_20121228_144225_zps19eefb59.jpg

Three 10-week old kits
IMG_20121228_144259_zpsd1dfa349.jpg

Mmm... Very neat idea! :p Could you use these as nesting boxes as well? :hmm: Or would they nibble on the plastic and ingest it, causing problems?

Heritage Homestead":3h6cfgi4 said:
Mmm... Very neat idea! :p Could you use these as nesting boxes as well? :hmm: Or would they nibble on the plastic and ingest it, causing problems?

I have noticed some nibbling, but more like taste testing, not really biting and eating. I have thought about using them as back-up nest boxes. I prefer to use a wire bottom nest box so that it drains. I originally planned to have the dishpans upside-down, but they wouldn't use them. As soon as I put them like normal, and put a bit of bedding in, they jumped right in. I have even seen the doe in with the litter of 5.

Thanks! The reason I asked is because the nesting box I bought from TSC (a metal one) was $20 and I don't even like it that much. Thought this might be a cheaper option (when I have more than one doe due at a time :roll: ).

TerriG":34myxlws said:
I have even seen the doe in with the litter of 5.

Aww... How cute that must be. Snuggle time! :p :lol:

I have used a plastic dishpan type container as a nest box-- as long as the top edge is smooth, there was no chewing. However, drainage holes need to be present once the litter gets 'bigger' and is urinating without the does help.

I am considering cutting the bottom out of a couple, leaving a 'lip' to hold a removeable wire bottom. I am even thinking a nice tote would work, as well-- with the lid sometimes a top, and sometimes a bottom..

Those are great! :razz:

I had a doe with a plastic litter box once. She chewed relentlessly on the thing, and I didn't find plastic bits below, so she ate it. No issues with her eating the plastic, though. :roll:

Heritage Homestead":4qa4nj2e said:

This is exactly how I make my nestboxes except I use 3 gallon totes and I leave about 3-4" from the bottom. My does and kits don't bother the nestboxes at all. If they chew it and they don't/can't tear off hunks like dogs can I don't think they can get a blockage from it. Plastic is pretty much inert, unless it's been soaking in something, I don't think it would cause problems.

Random Rabbit":31sf8xjm said:
I just realized ... they can easily be cleaned as well... should the rabbits soil them....

Very easily, I prefer these to wood for everything. You can punch holes in the bottom very easily if you worry about too much moisture, you can keep the lid on if you have outside rabbits. I don't, it gets too warm inside but then I don't get winter litters either :p

You can also take the empty boxes xmas lights come into the store in. Right now, stores are clearing out and the boxes are there...waiting for rabbits to tear em up! Or a random crazy dog with a box fetish... =D

I use dishpans and small totes for litter boxes, hidey holes, and nest boxes too. Some does like them, but some prefer the traditional nest boxes.

Going to Walmart Wednesday and I am going to look for these and give them a try next time around. Thanks for sharing! I love cheaper options that work just as well as the ones that are not so cheap. :D

Back