My current indoor cage setup

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Susie570

Reaction score
So, I've been modifying, moving stuff around, optimizing.

One of the biggest complaints I've had about my 'stackers', is the fact that I can't easily move them around to clean up the waste hay and such easily. Well, after a month or so of pondering, getting advice and picking my engineer boyfriend's brain... I solved the problem.

For a cost of about $10/stack (a little less actually), I was able to add wheels to the bottom of each stack. They are now super easy to move around. Yay!

Materials (per stack) 1 - 2x4 stud (approx 2.50) cut into two sections (each 3' & 1/8")
Wheels - 2 sets (come in a pack of 2) - $3 each
Screws - 12 wood screws
A metal punch

I think everything is basically self explanatory. I used the metal punch to put a hole where I wanted it, through the leg of the frame for the stacker. My only possible concern is that when you screw into the ENDS of wood like this, it's not a very solid connection. I'm not sure how to fix that, but the good thing is there is not a lot of stress toward pulling the screws out, it's all sideways. The add-on feels nice and solid when moving the cages around.

Where I put the 2x4 brace
IMAG0632.jpg

What the end looks like
IMAG0633.jpg

Finished Product
IMAG0634.jpg

I'm now planning to move my buck out of his 'condo' (you can see the corner of it to the left - notice the TSC cage box between the cages to prevent spraying) and put him into a cage like the girls. I'm not ready to completely abandon the condo idea yet, but there are several things I don't like about it. The slick floors, the mess, the inability to clean the edges of the wooden shelves and drilled holes if nasty stuff gets in there. :x

I'm thinking about just building a 'vacation home' where I can put a bunny for exercise without having to worry about it getting into stuff.

I also plan to put down linoleum under the area where the cages are, when I come across a deal on some.

I'd like to be able to stack 3 high, but I'm just too short and I worry that it would be too hot on the 3rd level, so this will just have to do.

This looks awesome.

I'd like to hear more about what you don't like about the condo though.

Bug4H":p7b6ilr4 said:
This looks awesome.

I'd like to hear more about what you don't like about the condo though.

Well, it's basically just the reasons I stated above, but I'll try to explain with some visual aids.

Here's a picture of the entire condo. As you can see, it's a 3-story made with heavy duty particle board and wire panels. I chose to use the spacers to help connect them and add stability. I attached everything with the 'nylon cable ties'. I covered the shelves with adhesive linoleum.

IMAG0654.jpg

The first issue is that the floor covering I chose is slick. The rabbits slide around on it and it's possible for them to hurt themselves, or even break their back if they get excited and move around too quickly. They learn to be more cautious with their footing, but it still worries me. Sometimes, Scarlett (the buck in this condo), gets all worked up and misjudges his hop onto a level and will kind of fall... :p

The next issue is that I didn't put rollers on it. Even if I HAD put rollers on it, the entire thing is pretty heavy (it would still be heavy with just 2 levels) and I think they would eventually snap off the bottom. It's unwieldy and very difficult to move around. I tried putting 'sliders' under it (of various types), none have worked very well. As you can see, there is a buildup of poop, hay and such around the perimeter where I can't easily reach to clean. I do vac it out as well as I can, but it's hard to get in there.

IMAG0656.jpg

The final big issue is that it's just plain difficult to clean out. It's easy enough to wipe the linoleum (spray with white vinegar to help clean urine), but it's too deep to easily reach the back corners. Scarlett is usually very good about using ONLY his litterbox, but as you can see, he's recently decided to use a shelf corner to potty in. :x The problem with this is several fold. The poops get kicked around in the floor (not a big deal). The urine runs over the sides of the shelf (a big deal) and soaks into the edges of the wood. Crud accumulates in the little spaces between the shelves and the wire sides, almost impossible to clean out without dismantling the entire cage.

IMAG0655.jpg

The holes that have to be drilled for the cable ties also accumulate 'stuff' in them, and you can't really clean them out.
IMAG0657.jpg

That's about it.

It's a nice concept, but I now consider it a 'learning experience'. It's better to have a smaller, easier to clean, very easy to move around cage and then have a place where bunny can run around an exercise under supervision, whether it's your floor or a special bunny play yard you set up. Just my observations, thus far.

That actually looks super cool.
Susie570":2jfnwh3a said:
I covered the shelves with adhesive linoleum
Thaaat would be the transparent white sheets, right?
How much do those separate cages cost and where did you buy them?? I was just thinking, maybe if they're not too expensive, :mrgreen: then I could buy one for the new rabbit instead of making a hutch and all that. I mean, woodwork isn't exactly my thing, y' know... :cool:
Oh, and that poopy corner is kind of a big deal if you have customers.. :twisted:

funnies50":3jhkamuq said:
That actually looks super cool.
Susie570":3jhkamuq said:
I covered the shelves with adhesive linoleum
Thaaat would be the transparent white sheets, right?

No, linoleum self-stick floor tiles.
I do not recommend using them though. Not only are they slick, but they're not healthy for buns to chew on.

How much do those separate cages cost and where did you buy them?? I was just thinking, maybe if they're not too expensive, :mrgreen: then I could buy one for the new rabbit instead of making a hutch and all that. I mean, woodwork isn't exactly my thing, y' know... :cool:

The total cost for a cage of that size, with the supports and drop pan is about $70 at Tractor Supply.
If you get a smaller cage, it's a little cheaper.

Oh, and that poopy corner is kind of a big deal if you have customers.. :twisted:

You don't say... :roll:
Actually, it's not in a place where people can see it unless I invite them into the back to come see.
I'm tired of having to clean it up so frequently (doesn't take him long to make it messy) and that's just one reason why I've decided to put him back into a stacking cage like the does.

i'd like to know more about which wheels you used. For the weight of the stackers I have, and what I thought was appropriate, the wheels themselves were $12. Maybe I can get away with a less expensive wheel

skysthelimit":14xhrttw said:
i'd like to know more about which wheels you used. For the weight of the stackers I have, and what I thought was appropriate, the wheels themselves were $12. Maybe I can get away with a less expensive wheel

I found the wheels at Lowes. They came in packs of 2 for a little over $3 per set.
I believe the weight limit was 80lbs on them? It might have been less. They're kind of brassy looking, but seem to be perfectly able to handle the weight of the double stack. :)

if you ever dismantle the condo---those panels make terrific pre-made doors....no sharp edges and big enough to put a nestbox through.

owlsfriend":1dg46an9 said:
if you ever dismantle the condo---those panels make terrific pre-made doors....no sharp edges and big enough to put a nestbox through.

Nice idea!!

I want to switch the doors on my TSC cages so they swing out, but can't figure out how to do a latch for it! :p

I've been just using springs on my doors to keep them shut. That and when I bought a few of my water bottles, they came with a spring setup, with clips on them that I turn into door fasteners as well. I just use tie wire to keep the bottles in place now.

If I'm not mistaken, you keep your buns inside, so that should be sufficient for you to try. Mine are outside and I haven't had any problems so far, well except for one escaping one night, but I just added another spring to her cage.

If you try the springs, make sure they are not too heavy!! The last ones I bought, I needed needle-nose pliers to attach them, but I can now do them by hand with little trouble.

By the way, I like the setup!! :D

the wheels are a reall7y good idea, makes the cages way more portable. Especally if you're pushing it around... :)
Does anybody think plastic mat on the floor would be a good idea? My only concern is that the bun will chew on the thing.
Suzie, im assuming you usually don't invite your customers to the back of the shop to see the buns.... :twisted:

funnies50":2vcfql8k said:
Does anybody think plastic mat on the floor would be a good idea? My only concern is that the bun will chew on the thing.
Suzie, im assuming you usually don't invite your customers to the back of the shop to see the buns.... :twisted:

I wouldn't put a rabbit directly on a plastic mat. You could put one under the cage, where the bun can't reach it.

I rarely invite people back to see the rabbits.

Great job Susie570!
I have been looking to add wheels to my stackable cages and was trying to figure a good way to go about it. I was just planning to buy them from Klubertanz since that is where I bought my cages but I believe it is $40 for a set of 4. Thanks for sharing what you have done.

WhWRabbitry":2emnn9qa said:
Great job Susie570!
I have been looking to add wheels to my stackable cages and was trying to figure a good way to go about it. I was just planning to buy them from Klubertanz since that is where I bought my cages but I believe it is $40 for a set of 4. Thanks for sharing what you have done.

No problem! I'm all about trying to reduce the cost on my cage stacks!

Shame TSC isn't an option anymore, since they switched to those awful Dumor cages. :roll:

As an update, after having the wheels on the stacks for a few weeks now, they are holding up very well. They feel solid when moving them around (I don't move them much) and roll easily.

funnies50":3hhr79z0 said:
Oh yes. Cost is always the most important thing. :twisted:

No, but I DID, just by a fluke, find one more of the Advantek cages at TSC today! Along with two frame kits and a pan. I was able to return the Dumor sets and get the other set. In addition, the Advantek stuff is 'marked down', because they are getting rid of them.

Lucky find :mrgreen: Why does that never happen to me??
rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back