My Clock is a bit 'slow'...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frosted Rabbits

Reaction score
I keep lowering the weight on the pendulum, but it keeps falling behind-- Much more, I'll have to get a longer pendulum!!! At least the amount of time it is falling behind is getting to be less and less--
Ihave my cell phone, computer, and plug in alarm clock all reading the same time- need toadjust the stove and the wall clock in the kitchen, and this Cuckoo clock, well, every time it chimes, I check to see how far off it is, then slide the pendulum weight just a tad more. What gets me is this-- I know whenever I move, I'll have to go through the whole process all over again...

So, Terry,....um....if you pull the weight DOWN, the pendulum swings longer arcs....thus turning the "clicker" gear less often. what you want to do is move your weight UP.

In pendulum clocks it's :speed UP the clock(raising the weight UP) and slow DOWN.

no, just the opposite-- the 'period', or length of time the weight travels the arc is the same, so it(the pendulum) must move faster when the slide weight is further away from the pivot point-- (I double checked the instructions, too)It seems a 1mm adjustment provides 5 minutes of difference in a day-- somy poor clock is way off, as it was falling beihnd 20 minutes an hour,,I now have it down to about 5 minutes an hour...

Sorry Terry, that's just wrong. The longer the arc the longer the time... it's a distance thing. The weight is traveling a longer arc when it's further down on the "stick" than when it's up near the pivot point. Just simple geometry and physics.

Here is a direct quote from "cuckoo clock repair" (cuckoo clocks run the same as any pendulum clock) http://www.howtorepairclocks.com/clock-repair/cuckoo/runs-too-fast-or-slow.html

1. How to adjust your cuckoo clock pendulum for accurate timekeeping. Every time your cuckoo (coo coo) clock pendulum makes a complete swing back and forth, one tooth of the time train is released from the escape wheel. Each time a tooth escapes, the time train advances, resulting in a slight movement of the minute hand. And the faster the pendulum swings, the faster the minute hand will turn. A basic principle of physics is that the length of a pendulum determines how fast it swings. A short pendulum swings faster than a long pendulum. You can change the effective length of the pendulum by raising or lowering the pendulum bob on the pendulum stick. If you push the bob up, the cuckoo will run faster. Lower it and the cuckoo will run slower.

The basic physics of a pendulum say that the period (time to swing) is directly proportional to the length of the arm on the pendulum.

pend.gif

The longer the pendulum (L), the longer it takes to swing (T). This means the clock will run slower.

I have some questions:
Is this the traditional pendulum clock with the counterweights or windup springs?
Have you run this clock before, or did you just get it?
Has anyone sprayed something like WD-40 in the works?

If the clock hasn't been run in a while, or its been sprayed with heavy oil or WD-40, the works can be gummed up. The longer you run the clock, the freer it gets. This means that your adjustments aren't really doing anything.

Now that the clock is running better, can you put the pendulum back where it was originally? Let it go for a while, and see how slow it is.

Here's a simple physics experiment. Get a string (at least 3-4 feet long) and tie it to the handle of a coffee cup. Let the cup dangle with about 1' of string. Making sure your pivot point (your hand, or whatever you attach the string to) can't move, pull the cup about 4" to the side. Let it go, and see how long it takes to swing. Should be around 1 second. Now use the full length of string, and see what happens. The period should be 3-4 times as long. Longer string = longer time = slower clock

I think the clock needs a good cleaning.

Michael

I GIVE-- Looks like the isntructions may not have been written(translated) correctly-- it IS from Germany!!!! So I slid the weight up the stick to about the half way point a bit ago-- I remember thinking 'Low and slow" at one point, but then, I dug out the instructions, and did what THEY said

so much for reading directions.....LOL

Look out, Terry, Artificer said he wants to clean your clock! :eek:

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol: )

Those old clocks are so neat. It would be fun to have one. :)

Miss M":338rac6k said:
Look out, Terry, Artificer said he wants to clean your clock! :eek:

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :lol: )

Those old clocks are so neat. It would be fun to have one. :)

If anybody does any clock cleaning around here, it's a gonna be ME!!! Ihave a few peole I would like to knock about!!! :twisted:

It's a brand new clock- shame that they are mass produced now, but hey, I have an IMPORTED Black Forest Cuckoo Clock- direct from Germany (sorta-- that time in military transit....) It's not top of the line, but I just wanted that brand of cuckoo clock, and my daughter doesn't mind spoiling me every now and then.

hmmm. brand new, eh? I wonder if it really needs to just run for a while to loosen up gears and springs?

I love cuckoo clocks. My father brought one back from Germany with him in 1945. Lovely thing. Recently I bought a 2 chime/2 door clock from St. Vinnies (thrift shop like Good Will) that only needed a cleaning to be up and running well! (to clean an old clock work, you just set it over an open container of turpentine. The vapors penetrate all the little varnished up parts and POOF! works again! :bananadance2: )

Anntann":e7q1bfja said:
hmmm. brand new, eh? I wonder if it really needs to just run for a while to loosen up gears and springs?

! (to clean an old clock work, you just set it over an open container of turpentine. The vapors penetrate all the little varnished up parts and POOF! works again! :bananadance2: )

Maybe-- I am having fun playing with the weights and pendulum :lol: I don't think I really care if it never keeps perfect time-- I have my clock!!!
I sure wish I new about the turpentine-- My one grandmother had an old mantel clock that got thrown out when she died because it wasn't working...

Most watch and clock repair people seem to use it(turpentine) first before undoing anything in a clock. 9 times out of 10 the problem is just that things are gummed up. Over the years, the oil that is on the gears gets old, and it gets dust in it. or it just wears away. Clock gears tend to be pretty delicate, so even the most experienced repair guy worries about bending or disturbing something. (can you tell I've been reading clock repair sites over the years? :lol: ... actually, both my father and grandfather were in the jewelry business, which in those days included fine clocks and watches)

Well-- it is keeping perfect time now-- a week without a computer gave me plenty of time to nudge that weight just a tad every hour until it got into the perfect position... And I still love that little bird that pops out every half hour and makes fun of my Mental health!!!

Terry, you've made me all nostalgic for my grandparents' cuckoo clock, which was one of the charming things about a visit to their house. I loved sleeping over and listening to that silly bird sounding the hours and half hours. We're going back half a century here! Ouch!

Random Rabbit":2fd1ggdg said:
Just Think !! Saturday night You will need to move it Ahead one hour.....

So much for getting it set.....lol.

Not hard-- just move that minute hand slowly!!! It's the mechanism speed that needs regulating. As long as I don't knock the weight out of position-- it will be fine!!!!

Back