My bucks are willing...My does are ???

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucesquatch

Reaction score
I have read a ton of books, threads and online articles and have tried a few 'tricks' to get things going (breeding wise) and I feel like I am still guessing. I have tried numerous times with my combo of two bucks and two does. I have had one batch of 4 that are 12wks from one doe, and a batch of 3 born on the wire and died from the other (my fault). I am raising for meat...

I have a few questions that I feel like would clear things up...maybe I am wrong...

• When do the does 'go into heat' or under what conditions?

• My does act like I am introducing them to a wolf when I place them with the buck, I have tried raspberry tea, but it doesn't seem to change much. Is there a way to make them 'eager'?

• I am hoping there is a pattern I can figure out to breeding, but I feel like I am domesticating rabbits for the first time in human history...is there a system/plan or program I could/should follow?

• Is there a definitive 'guide' to breeding? I want to have many baby buns, but alas, they are not breeding like bunnies (are apparently supposed to)...

Thanks,

Brucesquatch

Tap the rabbit on either side of the base of the tail or at the center, she should lift if she's even remotely ready. Many of my does aren't interested in the bucks, sometimes I'll get a doe that act's like a pro and it's over and done with nearly before my hands are out of the pen.
I've never had a doe lift just because you tap their backs, sides or w/e. Only the area right where the buck would be tapping himself.
Only experienced does ever were 'eager', rest would lay down for a nap instead.

brucesquatch":2kpwt6fs said:
Mostly, my does hunker down to the floor of the cage like she's taking a trip to Oz... :?

Mine "play hard to get" like that sometimes, too. I often do nail trims while I sit there and wait and watch. They usually will race around the cage a couple of times and then finally "lift". If not, and her color is still good, try again the following day.

As for how often they are "ready" that is a hard question to answer- I am guessing at least once a week or so they will darken up, but it is hard to say because when I see it, I breed it! I don't put her back and wait to see when she darkens again.

Latest posts

Back